4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:02 pm 
Some call me a god

Hey guys....I am replacing a head gasket on my 12 valve. Seriously, I don't want to fiddle with the crank pulley, so check this out. I have the upper and lower timing covers removed, so I can see the timing mark for the crank, but it's not visible on the crank sprocket. I've rotated the engine around a few times, the timing mark on the camshaft and head match and the piston on #1 & #4 are at TDC. Do I really need to verify the crank sprocket timing mark at this point, or can I proceed with head removal? I just want to remove (maybe belt tension) the camshaft gear with the timing belt still attached.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:00 pm 
Some call me a god

As long as you have confirmed that the TDC mark on the pulley is accurate, then I see no reason not to use it to set your timing belt. However, the right way to do it would involve removing the front cover, which I believe requires you to take off the pully, which is only four small bolts anyway. Keep in mind that if the engine you are working on has a balance shaft or a shaft that drives a distributor, you'll want all that open so you can see in there anyway.

I usually set all the pistons halfway down the bore, and TDC the crank when the head is back on, and you are ready to put your belt back on. That will prevent any piston to valve contact while doing the work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:18 pm 
Some call me a god

I removed both covers, left the crank pulley on. I can verify piston #1 is at TDC and the timing marks coincide from the cam gear to the head marking. I can see the timing mark on the block for the crank TDC, but after rotating this motor multiple times, I never once saw the mark on the crank sprocket go around. Maybe I am looking into this too far....but I know the top end of the motor is lined up. Like I said....I just want to fix the belt onto the gear and remove the gear from the camshaft. Blamo...no removing the belt, and the crank pulley stays where it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 pm 
Negative Nancy

Timing mark on lower crank pulley is a little groove cut into the pulley closest to the shock tower. I just went thru this also.