4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:10 pm 
Negative Nancy

(4G15) I finally got to work on the summit today and now running into a problem. A timing belt broke last week on the interstate while around 3500 rpms. Didnt hear any odd noise when it broke, the engine just died and pulled the car to the side of the road. Put the belt on today, lined the the cam sproket arrow stamped on pulley to the arrow cast into the head about 2 o' clock position. Then lined the timing mark (groove cut into lower outside pulley) up with the arrow cast into the block at about 1 o'clock position. When I cycle the motor over with socket and drive there is what I believe to be piston to valve contact at just over 1 revolution of the crank. I then checked TDC with a screwdriver in the #1 spark plug hole and confirmed that the timing mark is closer to the front of the car at about 10 o' clock position. What am I doing wrong here? Also, what is the easiest way to release the tension from the timing belt tensioner? I just rolled the belt onto the timing sproket like you would put on a bike chain. It was easy but had to be right on the first time.

Thank you,

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:24 pm 
CSM Expert

Bent valves make it hard to turn over by hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm 
Negative Nancy

My main question is, did I line the marks up correctly? Should the cam sprocket arrow be lined up when the engine is at TDC or TDC mark on crank pulley lined up to arrow on block?

Rich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 pm 
Negative Nancy

Ok, After taking on and off the belt 3 different times, I relized there was something else wrong. I got it turn over but with no compression still. I removed the valve cover and went thru several crank rotations and noticed that all 4 exhaust valves were hung half way open during the intake stroke. VOILA'!...found the problem. I guess its time for another head.

RIch