4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:54 am 
Negative Nancy

Searched around here last night for a while. I see the info about lining the upper mark with the dowel pin at 3 o'clock and the lower arrow at about 1 o'clock. Just dont see how to slip the belt between the crank pulley and block casting. Do I take the smaller bolts out of the crank to get the pulley off?
Also, should I do the retard or advance top gear by one tooth of 5* as I read it to be? The car pulls smooth all the way to 6-6200 and dont know if its worth it. The clutch is on is way out but need it to drive for a few more weeks, then might sell. Dunno yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:16 pm 

Yeah take the 12mm bolts out and remove the crank pulley. If you don't it'll be a bitch to get the belt on properly. As far as the timing goes I would just honestly set it where it was from the factory. Otherwise you'll have to run higher octane gas and it's really not worth it unless you're planning to get all of the 4G37 parts for it. If you plan to keep this car I would honestly put the 37 parts on it because believe me they make a difference. My car ran so smooth with those parts and it had a little more balls too.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:36 pm 
Negative Nancy

Quote:
Yeah take the 12mm bolts out and remove the crank pulley. If you don't it'll be a bitch to get the belt on properly. As far as the timing goes I would just honestly set it where it was from the factory. Otherwise you'll have to run higher octane gas and it's really not worth it unless you're planning to get all of the 4G37 parts for it. If you plan to keep this car I would honestly put the 37 parts on it because believe me they make a difference. My car ran so smooth with those parts and it had a little more balls too.

Will do, I cant get the belt till tuesday from autozone. Its 23.00 and cheapest ive found locally. I'll just put it back to factory. One more thing, I guess the mark on the lower pulley is an arrow also? Will the pulley only go back one one way, or will I have to mark the lower timing cog and pulley itself to go back together exactly?

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:

Will do, I cant get the belt till tuesday from autozone. Its 23.00 and cheapest ive found locally. I'll just put it back to factory. One more thing, I guess the mark on the lower pulley is an arrow also? Will the pulley only go back one one way, or will I have to mark the lower timing cog and pulley itself to go back together exactly?

Rich

Everything goes back together one way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm 
Negative Nancy

Thanks guys, Will take a crack at it tomm if it doesnt rain.

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:48 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

While you've got the crank pulley off, replace the crankshaft oil seal. Do the cam seal too. Even if they aren't leaking now they will, and it's easier to replace a couple dollar seal now than having to take it all apart again later after you see drips from the timing cover. Then not only do you have to do the whole job over again, you also have an oil soaked timing belt that needs replaced again to prevent it from breaking.

Tom

'03 Trailblazer - Ours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:52 pm 
Negative Nancy

It started raining this mornin and still raining now so it will have to wait till tomm. The crank is seeping a little, not enough to tell between oil changes, but still. I havent changed one of the crank seals yet on one of these. I guess i'll have to check over on vfaq. Anyone got a link? One more thing, what I was referring to as the "dowel pin" was actually a arrow casted into the head. And I assume its the same on the block? I havent got down to look with a light yet.

Rich