4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4g15 DOHC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Hi,

I have a question, but my "bad english" is a problem to ask the way i want, so i ll do my best, sorry for my english again... :oops:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modificat ... ancer.html

I have a colt 4g15 year 1992. I hope the next year I`ll change it for other car, so I don`t want to spend a lot of money with a swap to a 4g63 or 4g93. Every day I look in the internet to see if someone in Costa Rica want to sale a Colt Gt in good shape, but here in Costa Rica there is not a lot of colt gt, may be about 20 or 30....I`ll keep looking

So I need help to know if is too hard put a 4g93 or 4g63 head in my 4g15 to do it DOHC and 16v. I don`t want to ear that is stupid do this, because there will be not a big change with the engine, and that I`ll not win a lot of hp`s, I`ll ready know that.

I just want to know if this is posible, how hard is do it, what i need to know to do it.

Thanks, for the help,..

Pura vida

Post subject: Re: 4g15 DOHC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:25 pm 
Some call me a god

I do not think you can adapt a 4g63 head to a 4g15 block. They are both "4g" engines but the family designation, "6" or "1" is different.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:16 pm 

Compare the head gaskets, bore size, water location, bolt holes.

If all that adds up it might be possible. I am almost positive none of that will line up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:15 am 

Well, I know that is posible because in an Australian web they talk about it:

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... &Itemid=66

But they dont tell wath engine can be the donor (4g93,4g67, or 4g63) or maybe a Hyundai engine.

Group 2 Modifications

Okay the basics are done and you have a plan. The following mods require you to decide, which of the following ways you are going which will be

1. Staying with the 1.5 SOHC Cylinder head assembly for some further mild tweeks mostly in braking and suspension.
2. Upgrading to the 1.5 DOHC Cylinder head conversion, with more medium to extreme tweaks
3. Looking to turbocharge with either the SOHC or DOHC cylinder head assy

First decision - SOHC or DOHC cylinder head. We can only say one thing here - go the DOHC every time. If you don't want to do this then skip the next option and move on.
1. DOHC Conversion Package

The DOHC head conversion is quite simply the best option if you seriously want any more power from the vehicle. A Naturally aspirated tweaked DOHC package will outperform any SOHC variation short of turbocharging. Its superior flow characteristics cannot be beaten. By itself with the stock 1.5 SOHC computer this is worth 8kw at the flywheel with an increased working RPM range. This is a one day conversion which can be performed for under $2000.00 AUD$ by simply swapping the cylinder head and other minor components.

We usually source a complete 2nd hand motor, replace the timing belt and waterpump and then fit to the vehicle with RPW 4-1 Extractors, this engine comes standard with a 51mm throttle body.

You need to decide at this point because any extractor / turbocharger route requires a specific manifold / extractor for the specific cylinder head model which cannot be swapped across to the alternative.

This package upgrades the vehicle from 65kw on average to around 76kw on average at the flywheel. With above mods the vehicle should be close to around 80 - 83kw at the flywheel. Approx value around $2000.00 fitted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 am 

there's an actual factory DOHC 4G15 engine, the thing is that the engine is mounted on the other side of the engine bay, opposite to all the earlier cars(read: our cars). seeing as how all they do is sell the entire top end of the motor, the setup that RPW sells only works on 5G mirages(97-02 on this side of the pond).

you could in theory put the head onto your engine still, but it would either fit on with the cam gears on the wrong end of the motor, or the intake and exhaust would be on the opposite(wrong) sides of the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:48 am 

It would be easier to buy the DOHC engine and tranny and make new mounts for your car. But like you said, you don't want to do an actual engine swap and you could swap in an engine that actually fits if you were willing to do that.

I would just do little things, like intake and exhaust to the current engine if you don't want to spend a lot of time and money on it. Especially if you don't plan to keep it for long.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 am 

Ok, thanks for the coments,

For the record then i asume, is not posible do the DOHC conversion for a 4g15 12v engine, the best choise and the only choise is a Swap.

I`m pretty happy with my 4g15 because is my dayly and only ride, so for me, stop the car for weeks to do the swap is not a option. The last few of weeks I upgrade the cluth, change the intake, do a valve adjust job, change the fuel pump.

What I feel right now is that the car is very slow to pass from 1500rpm to 4000rpm, but when the car in second gear gets to 4000rmp give me a little happines :lol: .

So what i really want to do this is try to improve this range of rpm. From the 1500rmp to 4000rmp.

Thanks a lot for your coments,

Pura Vida,