4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:26 pm 

So what happened was, I was driving and shut off my car and then it would not start. I came back a few hours later and she fired right up. It tried to start but just wouldn't go. Got almost home and it died on me while driving. Came back in a little bit and she fired right up. Then it happened twice more lol, I took a friend home and it died on the way back. I walked the 4 miles home then went back for the car a few days later. Then on the way home with the car it died AGAIN! So we put a chain on it and pulled it the rest of the way home. Each time it shut off, it did it sooner then before. Is this characteristic of the ECU or could it be the distributor?

Thank you for your guys time. I am going to pull the ECU out tomorrow to have a look at it, But I don't have another one to see if its the problem for sure or not. I don't have a lot of money to put into the car, I just had the top end rebuilt a month ago and now this happens. I'm going to check the ECU for leaking caps. I really need my car going by Jan 7th, I have to drive 450 miles round trip. I really appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:28 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This is telltale if the ECU is at fault, so don't feel bad, it happens to all of the earlier units with enough cycling. Get that unit out and post some pics of the caps up close or post your findings and we can help you from there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:21 pm 

Hey thank you eagle! I will pull it out in the morning and try to get pictures. Thank you for the speedy reply, it made my girlfriend happy because I have to pick her up on the 7th and can't wait to see her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am 

Yeah man, your ECU's shot. My 92 Colt did the same thing until I replaced the ECU with a 4G37 ECU and then it was perfect. Fired right up everytime. My CEL even went away. If your car still has the original 4G15 in it, you might think about upgrading and buying the 4G37 parts. You'd need the injectors, ECU, MAF, and TB. It's a good upgrade and gives you more power (well, at least some).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:11 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
So what happened was, I was driving and shut off my car and then it would not start. I came back a few hours later and she fired right up. It tried to start but just wouldn't go. Got almost home and it died on me while driving. Came back in a little bit and she fired right up. Then it happened twice more lol, I took a friend home and it died on the way back. I walked the 4 miles home then went back for the car a few days later. Then on the way home with the car it died AGAIN! So we put a chain on it and pulled it the rest of the way home. Each time it shut off, it did it sooner then before. Is this characteristic of the ECU or could it be the distributor?

Thank you for your guys time. I am going to pull the ECU out tomorrow to have a look at it, But I don't have another one to see if its the problem for sure or not. I don't have a lot of money to put into the car, I just had the top end rebuilt a month ago and now this happens. I'm going to check the ECU for leaking caps. I really need my car going by Jan 7th, I have to drive 450 miles round trip. I really appreciate the help.
I also had the same issues with corroded battery cables. mpi relay, or bad fuel pump can also be the cause. but yea most likely its the engine computer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 am 

LOL So I should have asked earlier but how do I go about removing the ECU? If I remember correctly from threads past, Its above the passenger side foot well. Is that the correct location? If so, How do I access it? I will start searching on here now, any insight will be helpful, Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:43 am 
The Silent Administrator

that is the correct spot, just remove the 10 mm bolts (and remember to do them back up when you reinstall, VERY important for grounding the case to the chassis), and pull for the life of you because its a large spring clip that holds the top of the casing. Getting it back in takes some finesse, but isn't too bad except for the awkward body position. 8)