4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:53 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I wonder if the Getrag 6-speed from the '97-99 3000GT/GTO would fit. The engine sits in the right direction. I'm sure it could be made to work somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:11 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Maybe it would stay in one piece if you ran it with a carby 4G15. :P

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:02 pm 

http://www.albinsgear.com.au/mitsubishi.html
I think from memory it was about au$15,000 weather that included install I can't remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:56 pm 

Quote:
I wonder if the Getrag 6-speed from the '97-99 3000GT/GTO would fit. The engine sits in the right direction. I'm sure it could be made to work somehow.
yeah, its the 94-99 TT 3/Ss that had the 6-speed. they also benefited from a steel diff housing unlike the older TT 3/Ss. a trans company called Kormex now offers rebuilds for these with some slighty stronger parts. I'd rather modify the Getrag tranny to fit than drop $9,903USD for that AU-6S trans. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

The Evo 4 onwards engines won't fit in the C10/C50 colts - not on the standard engine mounts anyway.

The Evo 1,2 and 3 engines fit more or less straight into the Colts, and it IS the engine that is in the Galant VR4 (early ones)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:08 am 

Quote:
The Evo 4 onwards engines won't fit in the C10/C50 colts - not on the standard engine mounts anyway.

The Evo 1,2 and 3 engines fit more or less straight into the Colts, and it IS the engine that is in the Galant VR4 (early ones)
yeah but do the evo I,II or III have a 6 speed.

does the 3/S 6 speed bolt up to 4g63 blocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:39 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Quote:
Quote:

yeah but do the evo I,II or III have a 6 speed.

does the 3/S 6 speed bolt up to 4g63 blocks
Actually, the Evo motors are quite different from the Galant VR-4 RS motors they replaced. The won't go into a C50 without a fight. The will go into the 4G Mirage no problem though. They are basically a different generation of the 4G63 and have different mounts. The differences are the same as between the 1G and 2G DSM. The Evo 1-3 only came with a 5-speed. I don't know if the 3000GT/GTO 6-speed will bolt up to a 4G63 or not. I can see the posibility that it would, but someone would have to do some hands on research to find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:42 am 
CSM Junkie

I doubt very much if the 3000 gearbox would bolt onto the colt's engines - AFAIK you're only option for a 6 speed box would be to get one from Quaife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:14 am 

Quote:
I doubt very much if the 3000 gearbox would bolt onto the colt's engines - AFAIK you're only option for a 6 speed box would be to get one from Quaife.
there is no point in installing a 6 speed sequential in a car when the tranny costs more than the car itself. unless you got money to burn. dont forget about the look on someones elses face when they find out about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:50 pm 

Quote:
T
I don't know for sure if the EVO engine will fit the Colt GT/GTi.
I've read somewhere that the EVO I - III engines fit a Galant VR4.
I bet they changed the mounting schemes so the later EVO engines won't fit
into our cars anymore. :(
EVO engines are basically super upgraded 63t's if im not mistaken.. so an EVO I-III will fit just like doin a normal swap if im not mistaken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:11 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

1-3 evos will bolt into our car just like a DSM 4g63 will.....but i do belive you have to use the evo harness coz some things are different...and also you have to use the evo ecu

For those 10 months or less... I'm broke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:12 pm 

Quote:
EVO engines are basically super upgraded 63t's if im not mistaken.. so an EVO I-III will fit just like doin a normal swap if im not mistaken
It depends if they've got places to attach mounting brackets on the engine block or not (anyone have an Evo III we can look at?) I'd guess they don't - like the 2G Eclipse 4G63T - since the engine was pretty extensively overhauled from the VR4. On the other hand the 4G15 in my '95 Coupe does have the extra mounting points (which it doesn't use) so the 4G-based Evos (I-III) may be the same.

I guess we're not going to know this unless someone goes out and finds a rally team who has one. You could probably ask the guys at http://www.meade-sports.com to settle this for us.

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:05 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Apparently no one bothers to read my posts anymore. The Evo 1-3 are exactly like the 2G DSM with the extra mounting point and everything. The Evo 1-3 motor will NOT bolt straight up into a C50 3G 1989-1992 Mitsubishi Mirage. Yes it can be done though with enough time, effort, patients and money just like anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:20 am 
CSM Expert

AFAIK the EVO 1-3 engines are exactly like the 1G DSM motors. Sorry for stating the obvious, but 1G DSM engines will fit a 1.6l CSM. An EVO 7 engine will not fit as it has definately different mounting schemes (seen it).
However, there was some site on the web that described how to bolt a 1G engine in a 2G (vfaq.com?). This might reveal some interesting stuff on the various mounting schemes.

Regarding the 4G15 powered CSM you're right. With some very creative welding, lots of metal work and huge amounts of $$$ to spend you're ready to go for a swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:36 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Quote:
AFAIK the EVO 1-3 engines are exactly like the 1G DSM motors. Sorry for stating the obvious, but 1G DSM engines will fit a 1.6l CSM. An EVO 7 engine will not fit as it has definately different mounting schemes (seen it).
However, there was some site on the web that described how to bolt a 1G engine in a 2G (vfaq.com?). This might reveal some interesting stuff on the various mounting schemes.

Regarding the 4G15 powered CSM you're right. With some very creative welding, lots of metal work and huge amounts of $$$ to spend you're ready to go for a swap.
I am sorry, but you are incorrect. As a former Mitsu employee, I know more than my fair share. Once again, The Evo 1-3 motor is Exactly like the 2G DSM!!! Here's proof with a quote from Road Race Engineering.

"EVO Motors: The valve covers of the EVO 1-3 motors will be a kind of titanium color. They are the same as a US 2G motor with nothing fancy. They have the smaller 2G style intake ports, a small runner intake manifold with a larger plenum and a larger throttle body than a 2G motor. Still they are hard to find. Many are from other 4G63 powered cars and can have small 13G sized turbos. They will not bolt into a 1G because there are no provisions for the front roll stopper motor mounts that bolt to the block. Everything in Japan from 94 and up has the front and rear roll stopper motor mounts on the transmission 2G Eclipse style. Many people are running around yapping about how they have an EVO motor in their car. If it bolts into a 1G, it isn't an EVO motor."