4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
CSM Expert

I was going to lower my colt a bit so I bought a set of KYB GR2's and I got a good deal on some Eibach sportlines from Dr Colt. I decided today was a good day to get the rears done and maybe if i was feeling ok after tackle the fronts. I dropped the struts (which had absolutly NO oil left in them after 250k I guess they were a bit on the done side) I added in the GR2's and put on the Eibach sprotlines and dropped the car and the rear tires just about disappeared... I think it would be around 4 inches or drop in the rear. I can't say for sure because my struts were riding so low to begin with. It was 2.5" below where I had started thats for sure. DOH! Coming back here and re-reading I found the error of my ways. I was supposed to use stock springs in the rear. So file this under DON'T EVER DO THIS!!!! BTW removing the bushings from the rubber isn't plesant either. Get an angle grinder hack off the end. Use a utility knife to cut the rubber (I did that in 2 places). Then stick a screw driver under the rubber pry it up all the way around. You'll still have a bunch of rubber left on the bushing scrape what you can with the utility knife. Then stick it in the vice hit it with the sandpaper that gets most of it off. In case you mushroomed the bushing at all (I did on both of mine). Its makes life a lot easier if you have a bench grinder there to fix things up.... Here it is end of Sunday I still haven't even started my fronts... bleh!....

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

How come it dropped so low? what car where the springs originally for; the eclipse?

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."

Post subject:
CSM Expert

Yeah they were for a T/E/L 2WD

I've got my stock springs back on they help a bit but are still too low will i end up getting more height if I use stock AWD springs?

Post subject:
Did you get the FWD shocks or AWD shocks?

Post subject:
CSM Expert

AWD I figured they would be a bit stiffer.... now another question for the guy who have done this.. O used my old bushing but the thing it the strut floats on the bushing and there is a bit of lateral play at the lower end of the strut the rubber bushing used to be bowed out to prevent this from moving but it does move a bit what should I do put washers on both sides to keep the latteral play to a minimum? speaking of that when I was under the car I noticed my lateral rod (bar behind the rear axle) had a small "bend" in it. Is this equivelant to a rear sway bar or does it perform some other task? I just want to know how important is this bar should I change this ASAP or could I wait a few weeks to get it done?

Post subject:
It would probably be okay to use washers to keep the bushings from sliding.

You are probably talking about the panhard bar behind the axle? I'm fairly sure that the bar should be straight, although bending it would be a crude way of lowering (or raising) your rear roll center. Don't ask me which one you should do, because I'm not sure. :) I really should read up on how that thing works.