4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Clutch Slippage
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Nobody Important

Hey all

I have an interesting little problem. I just picked up my colt a few weeks ago and after smacking all the little problems I could find I took him Solo II racing (yes, he is a him, and his name is Louie :P )

With normal street driving he is great, but when I did the launch on my first run the clutch was slipping like a mofo. Shifted to second and it slipped a little more but seemed much better. On the second run it slipped less and on the third it didnt slip at all.

Then I did my course work so he sat for around an hour. I then had my friend take a fun run (she has connections) and it slipped bad for her too. Now I bought the car from her and she is a national SCCA champ so I know it wasn't driver error. On my fourth run (Louies 5th) it didnt seem to slip at all. But Alas here is the nasty bit. On my 5th run halfway through the course I upshifted to second, popped the clutch out and stomped the gas... VROOOOOM MAJOR slipage... I was barely able to get around and off the track before the other car came up and smacked my ass.

Great.. I thought I blew my clutch. I got the car home (VERY slowly) and parked him. Two days later after I cooled off I got in to see how bad the damage was. I started him up and drove away like nothing was wrong.

WTF is going on?

I _KNOW_ I over-heated the clutch... but my question is why would it slip like that. What kinds of adjustments are capable on him? (Hydrolic clutch). The clutch only has somewhere around 30k miles on it (new pressure plate too). The original got just under 100k before it died.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks in advance (I'll be slow to reply for the weekend, I'm going out of town)

-paul
'92 colt GL, 1.5l

Post subject:
try replacing your slave cylinder, then the master cylinder.

Post subject:
BANNED FOR FRAUD

It sounds to me like you fried it. I don't think you broke it in properly and now the surface of the clutch is glazed over. It got too hot and now has a smooth surface to it. Give it some time for this to wear away and avoid any severe usage for a while. You're going to have to let if wear away under normal driving conditions.

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I think since you are beating on the 1.5 clutch that wasnt made for racing abuse you are asking too much of it. Do whats suggested above, and anyone know if the FWD DSMt flywheel will fit the end crank of the 4G15? if it does, get it & upgade to a DSMt PP/disc/tob. :)

btw/ why not a female name? cause its gonna be hard to be saying, "I'm gonna ride louie today" or "Me & louie are going for a ride" Unless thats your thang... people in the office might overhear &* you'd get looks :o

Post subject: ::sigh::
Nobody Important

Yeah, I think I just expect too much out ot the little OEM clutch. I believe that I should be able to get the revs up and do a launch without slipage from an OEM clutch with the only engine mod being a K&N but whatcha-gunna-do ya know?

jmauld: depending on the cost of new ones I may just try the shotgun approach by replacing them.

dsmracer: I didn't do the break in period. I got the car with the clutch already having 30k on it. I'm temped just to keep beating on him until the clutch is one nice slippery disk :)

Over the winter when I'm finally in my new house I can yank the engine and just start replacing stuff. The brake lines are funky, power steering too, also gotta yank out the A/C. I need to replace just about every seal anyway (he drips just enough to be annoying).

I am looking for replacement clutch ideas right now for when I do rip it all down. Any non-stock options will obviously take me out of stock class, but right now I just don't care. I'm having too much fun as is :). Any ideas on some mods I can do that won't require major $ or changes are welcome. Of course I'm not opposed to anyone wanting to sell me a nice ready to drop in turbo engine and tranny :)

And as for his name... I didn't name him. His offical name is (I think) "Louie Kablooie from St. Louie". He was the replacement for the car called the Colt Classic. Yeah, the person I got him from is a strange one. (Hi Tina! :D ) Of course she has a few SCCA racers, a couple of street cars and now a nice Mini CooperS, so I guess I can't really dig on her too much.

Nobody Important

http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6374#6374

The slave fixed it :)