4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Nobody Important

I'm not sure if the "wine cork" hole under the MAS is a NA thing only or what so I'll just post here.

I read that covering the hole gives you a little more umph at the price of a rougher idle. Well, I covered the hole up around a month ago. It did seem to give a very slight increase in performance, but it may all be mental. The idle did get pretty nasty (until the engine was up to temp, then it was fine).

Now, the reason I'm typing all this crap. Yesterday when I was autocrossing, I noticed for the first time that the engine was cutting out on me every now and then. It actually felt like a cylinder was missing for perhaps one or two cycles. (you know what I mean... not MIA, but not firing).

The exhaust was also smelling a little rich. Now this makes perfect sense being that the compter saw more air going in then it thought should, so it gave it more gas. I unplugged the hole, reset the ECU and did a few fun runs. I didn't notice any more skipping. (Yes I know the ECU was just back at defaults and still needs to learn, but default should be closer than what I was at)

I guess I'm just trying to inform other people who have done this that it may not be doing what you think it is. If getting more power out of the stock engine was that easy, I sure think the mitsu engineers wouldn't have put that hole there :)

Oh, something that probably didnt help either, it was the first hot and humid day that I was really beating on the car.

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
CSM Expert

[quote:34j3593l]If getting more power out of the stock engine was that easy, I sure think the mitsu engineers wouldn't have put that hole there[/quote:34j3593l]

What makes you think that the Mitsu engineers were after more power? I think economy and smooth idle is more likely to have been their aim.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:55 am 

Quote:
I'm not sure if the "wine cork" hole under the MAS is a NA thing only or what so I'll just post here.

I read that covering the hole gives you a little more umph at the price of a rougher idle. Well, I covered the hole up around a month ago. It did seem to give a very slight increase in performance, but it may all be mental. The idle did get pretty nasty (until the engine was up to temp, then it was fine).

Now, the reason I'm typing all this crap. Yesterday when I was autocrossing, I noticed for the first time that the engine was cutting out on me every now and then. It actually felt like a cylinder was missing for perhaps one or two cycles. (you know what I mean... not MIA, but not firing).

The exhaust was also smelling a little rich. Now this makes perfect sense being that the compter saw more air going in then it thought should, so it gave it more gas. I unplugged the hole, reset the ECU and did a few fun runs. I didn't notice any more skipping. (Yes I know the ECU was just back at defaults and still needs to learn, but default should be closer than what I was at)

I guess I'm just trying to inform other people who have done this that it may not be doing what you think it is. If getting more power out of the stock engine was that easy, I sure think the mitsu engineers wouldn't have put that hole there :)

Oh, something that probably didnt help either, it was the first hot and humid day that I was really beating on the car.

-paul

As I read some of the posts, I saw that point of views about that 'modification' aren't the same. Last of all can anybody tell if plugging the MAS with 'wine cork' is bad/harmful for the 1.5L 12v engine/computer???? Has anyone any remarks?? :-?

How much fuel input increases?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:47 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I actually OPENED it on my '15. There were two of those holes and one was plugged. I figured more holes more air more power =D

But from what I remember now, those holes bypass the MAS so I don't see it working very well :/ don't credit me on that though I haven't looked at the intake in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:36 pm 
CSM Expert

yah, the MAFS on the old EFI 4G15 I had in my X1 had one hole blocked as well. I opened the blocked hole since the MAFS itself is so restrictive. The idle was a little rougher after that but acceptable (others have done this and their car would barely idle). My butt-dyno told me I had some gains although the motor also had a p&p, hi-comp pistons, balanced rotating assy and 4-2-1 headers into a 2" exhaust.

I really hate those poxy MAFS. They are a massive restriction IMO. Both my 4G15 X2 and 4G61T X1 use MAP based systems thankfully. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:47 am 

I did this shit for the maf, run over 200 km, and i see the difference:
it pulls much better!!
An hour ago I put back audi 90 2.0i :)

now I'm testing fuel expenditure,
The only thing I do not know if its bad 4 the engine or not?
one more thing, -the idle sucks in the morning,