4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:01 pm 

ok my colt is going for the shits, have had a metal clnnging "ting" noise and a knocking noise like somethings wobbling around coming form the timing belt/distributor area for about 3 weeks, well today my car started to run like crap, got to work, at lunch left to get a 10 day for my talon and its even worse, wont idle worth shit, it seems to surge when i push the gas, well at first it doesnt do f.a then it pick ups and it like missfiring or something could this be a distributor gone bad????
and my autometer boost gauge has been acting eratically lately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:23 pm 

can anyone help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:39 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Does it sound like hell when its idling?? and then becomes a clang and knock sound at higher RPMS? It sounds like the exact same problem I had with my colt. The harmonic balencer is going on your car. The inner part is banging against the mains. Did it start off as a light knocking noise and when you shut it off it would make a knocking noise as the engine came to a halt? and it is eventually getting worse (sounding like you blew a lifter on a V8 or the bottom end of the engine is flying apart?). Thats what the problem is. If the harmonic balencer is simular on the 1.6 to the 1.5, the gear that turns the timing belt is attached to the back (thats whats bangin against the block and causing all the noise. But with it being loose its what drives the cam, it will cause your valves not to seal and your timing to be off a bit.

It made me sick listening to the thing because my engine was running soo smooth and beautiful and then all of a sudden.... knock knock knock knock, it sounded like a damn desiel. Then my uncle took the valve cover off to see if it was the valves, and put the bolts back on but didnt tighten them or tell me that he didnt, so 2 kms from home my engine was smoking like a b**ch, I open the hood and see 3/4 of my oil sprayed all over my engine compartment (stank like H*LL for the 2 weeks following). So I went to the wreaker and picked up a used Harmonic Balencer and put it on. Started her up and she purred, went to take it for a drive and it was gutless, reason being my cam was retarded 5 degrees and I had adjusted my timing to compensate. So what was happening was the exuast was opening on the power stroke robbing me off all the power. So I straightened that out and my car has been running perfectly for the last 3 months and I put 2500 k on it every 2 weeks.

Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions like that just give me a shout at travisanema@hotmail.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:19 am 

that sounds exactly like it, the problem is its very hard to find and scrap yards with colt turbos in them, actually i have yet to see 1 colt turbo in the scrap yard, ive seen lots of 1.5's though. Anyone know of any big scrap yards between oshawa - kingston that might have what im looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:20 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Well I saw 2 in the last 2 months up here in Manitoba, doesnt help much though... I guess if worse comes to worse you could order it but that would cost u out the AZZ!