4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: I want to be a cool kid
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 am 

so Im trying to come over to the cool kids club and pick up a 2nd gen. I have lots of 4g6x experience and have owned a 3g. Im just wondering if theres any pointers, FYIs, or anything else that most 2g guys know. I have searched for info on the 2g and the g32b until my fingers went numb, but I havent come up with much. anyone on here pretty versed in them? or know where people are?
Im looking for stuff like swapability, power goals, upgrade options and the like. I know these cars are limited without any support but someone has to know the ins-outs. In my research I have found that there are some really nice 2nd gens around. that means that there are a few people that know these cars. It seems like the biggest problem is that maybe these guys just arent as active as they need to be? If I can get my hands on a solid turbo 2g then Im gonna try my best to revive this part of the forum.
Lets get some info/responses if nothing else just throw in a reply to show your active, or a pic of a nice 2nd gen.

galant vr4 1844/2000 - beaten daily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:03 pm 
Some call me a god

I daily my 88 turbo sedan to work and back Monday through Friday.

It's an mpi swapped car with 1.8l parts, a 13g turbo, 450 injectors, running speed density on a 3g csm EPROM ecu.

I recently did rob bearings. Oil pressure got better but it's still low. I think I need a new front cover but they are hard to get now.

Hi back at ya.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:23 pm 

awesome news man, Im pretty pumped about picking up a 2nd gen and I am also getting it to daily. I have a 50 mile trip i make every single day for school and a 4wd jeep isnt quite the best choice.

do you know how much boost/power you can run on these motors before you lift the head? to me that seems like the weak link, because a good tune will keep the pistons intact, and at factory redline the rods should be fine as well.

what type of mileage do you get? and arent these things non-interference motors? I like to try and get the most out of my vehicles so as long as I get my hands on one, then I will definitely be trying some things.

as far as the parts that are getting scarce, is there no 4g37 compatibility?

post up a pic of the beast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:04 am 
CSM O.G.

when he said "mpi swapped with 1.8 liter parts" he meant 4g37. They are in the same family of mitsu motors so there are lots of interchangeable parts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:24 am 

yep, I understood. I asked because he needs a front cover. which i thought could be one of those things that are under a lot in common.

well I have done even more looking around, and it seems like you guys just get on here and dont post very often. how bout we make 2gs active again?

right now I have some questions. I think im going to start parting out my vr4, and I want to know it there is anything I can keep for the mirage. I read that you can swap in the front brakes off of a 3g mirage. so if thats true, shouldnt I be able to swap in the entire vr4 knuckle? then if the vr4 knuckle works, then I should be able to use a vr4/1g strut? I know the uppers are different but the strut doesnt come with an upper anyway.

then I read that 3g rear disks work. but i guess the vr4 doesnt have anything compatible back there? what if I get some fwd dsm stuff? what do I need from a dsm donor if I want to keep it 4x114? what about my vr4 brake booster to power these new disks all around?

I need to know what I need to keep from the vr4, and what I need to get when I head to the JY this week.

at first I wanted to look into power/turbo but it looks like 200 is a pretty high number for the g32b? so I guess Im gonna see about making this car fun through handling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

the only rear disk option is Hyundai elantra or 89 gt stuff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:19 pm 

alright so elantra on the next JY trip. will any galant front hubs work? there is a GS at the local yard. Im going tuesday, so ill be able to get stuff.

yes I am the cool kid who buys upgrades for the car he doesnt even have yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 pm 
CSM Junkie

do a search on rear disk set ups cause its the same as a 3rd gen as it is on a second gen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:08 pm 
Some call me a god

Yup 4g37 parts work. I also installed a fwd 92 expo sway bar up front. But it hits the steering rack and it literally ripped one end link right out of the A arm.

If you want to upgrade the brakes; the turbo cars come with vented disks and larger boosters.

The suspension is not that great on these cars. They're kind of slush boxes IMO. Some have said that hyundia excel/scoupe suspension is similar if not the same. There may be some upgrades there...

I have a 3G that I'm working on now. Once I remove some of those suspension/brake parts off it I'll see what swaps over. This will probably take me a long time. I work all the time and don't get to play often.

There's no parts that Ive ever put on from galant. I saw a ggsx at the JY today and got some rear end parts for my 3G sedan.

94 Audi s4 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:39 am 

Quote:
It's an mpi swapped car with 1.8l parts, a 13g turbo, 450 injectors, running speed density on a 3g csm EPROM ecu.
We need more speak on this!

The 3g's use a simular smaller setup than the 4G37. However they use a speed density instead of MAF? This may be a good upgrade for me to switch to and make the turbo setup easier to handle. What are you using to control your fuel system? I was way to rich running 450 injectors.

To the OP, I see your name on way older post on DSM1eights and noticed you stopped coming over there. Should stop in and say Hi every once in awhile. You could use a ton of the parts from your Talon to convert into the g32bT motor. I used parts to recently turbo my 4G37. I would say you could adapt a 14b and a DSM FMIC to that bad boy and swap the MPI mani on it too.

1984 Maserati Biturbo 2.5TT
1980 Turbo Trans Am
1976 Trans Am 455

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:20 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
We need more speak on this!

The 3g's use a simular smaller setup than the 4G37. However they use a speed density instead of MAF?
Sorry no they use a MAF.

Basically I MPI swapped my car by running a turbo DSM engine wiring harness. I also used an CSM EPROM ECU. Turbo 89 CSMs came with EPROMS too just like the DSMs. In fact an 89 Turbo CSM EPROM ECU is functionally the same to a 90 DSM EPROM ECU.

Now that I swapped the wiring harness and ECU, I converted the car to speed density. This process is exactly the same as what one would do to convert a TURBO DSM to Speed Density since I basically converted my g32b car to a DSM from an ECU persective.

I hope that makes sense, I should have done a write up....

94 Audi s4 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

some one buy my car i love it and would like to see it go to someone who will love it like i do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:20 pm 

So what exactly did you do about the distributor to coil packs? You should really join on www.dsm1eights.org and give us your insight. I actually have a thread going about the CSM/ DSM incommon facts and I mention you as well. I can imagine your build was a path builder as well. Think if you would of had resources like we have today. I personally invite you to join that forum as well! Any of you are welcome there:)

And do that write up!

I have been thinking about blocking off the distributo and using a coil pack system wired in directly the same.

BTW the 3g's use a knock sensor and distributor correct? Wouldn't it be sufficient to swap ECU's, distributor, and wire the knock sensor directly to the 4G37 DSM harness?

1984 Maserati Biturbo 2.5TT
1980 Turbo Trans Am
1976 Trans Am 455