4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Some call me a god

My G32b is an 89 eagle vista badged Mirage :smile: (its been badged properly since)

MODS so far on my first ever rebuild on a motor. I started off with no tools, very little knowledge of how a motor/turbo functions. Its was a lot of bugging the right people for hints and buying the right tools.

It now has 25K km on my own rebuild. The body has 417K kms! The original motor was swapped into another colt which i sold my to buddy, it had 391 on it, and from calculating, The motor had 450K km on original rings and everything when it died due to neglect of oil maintenance.
To make a long story short, i wanted a challenge, and took the bad motor, rebuilt it, and dropped it in the high mileage body.

AS soon as the 1K km mark on the rebuild, the mods started.
To the track and ran 16.7@84mph on all original parts rebuilt motor.

Mods follow as so:
Home Depot Campbell Hausfeld small pressure regulator, for use as boost controller.
Set to 10psi w/ no IC. Factory boost is 8psi.
Or you can remove the silencer, add a K&N filter to gain 1psi.
Remove Catalytic, and install bigger high flowing exhaust. Adds another 1psi boost.
That gets you to 10psi safely as well.

Crane Cams PS91 ignition coil
Taylor 8mm wireset
NGK copper core plugs

These mods got me a 16.3@89mph, with some enhanced traction problems.

Next was the Lightened flywheel(16lbs shaved down to 13lbs)
Centerforce 1 clutch disk and pressure plate and throw bearing (30% stronger than stock)
AMS oil tranny fluid

added dsm IC and BOV vented back into the turbo inlet. (although i mounted the IC in a bad location, above turbo/manifold, it works pretty good) I am moving the IC into the fender someday.
Lost 1psi boost.

I installed a 2" catless exhaust with a magnaflow muffler, i should have gone with 2.5", but i was a cheapskate back then.

Removed the aircan all together at this point.
The MAFS seems to be compensating for the extra air flow, so no need for more fuel until around 13psi-14psi, the car starts to lean out at this point.

With the above mods, Wheelspin is a given in second gear, its all over the place.
Ran a 15.9@90mph with 2.4 60fts on Yokohama a520 tires.

Suspension is basic
Monroe sensatrac struts up front, and cut two coils on stock springs all around.
KYB replacement rear shocks(supposed to be stiffer than stock, and do feel like it)
I had called and emailed Eibach and Apex and companies like them to ask why there was no spring kit available for my colt.
Apex replies to me after i had already cut the factory coils.
I m sticking with the cut coils for now.

Tires are Yokohama A520 185 50 14 (low profile) on aluminum factory rims.

With practice, I managed a couple of runs 15.23@92mph shifting at past the redline, finishing the 1/4 in third!

Then were the brakes, rear is factory drums(crappy), and up front are vented brembo rotors and metalmaster pads.

The latest upgrade was a reground cam custom from WEB cam. I cant remember the lift and duration, but i will post later when i find out the numbers again.
It made a huge difference in power, i actually have better gas mileage, and the car runs a little smoother, is more responsive, and tire spin is at its worse. I cant seem to get a better run than 15.6 and 60ft times of 2.55!
The car is on some kind of crack. And its all basically stock, just minor little mods.

I have yet to port and polish a spare reconditioned head i Have with the Jet valves removed and welded.

My dyno specs with everything listed minus the cam, is 110fwhp 120ish tq on 8psi boost.
and 124fwhp 143tq at 12psi.

I have yet to dyno with the cam installed.

I have come across a couple of guys that have run better times than me with less mods! I dunno how, but i can believe.

I just wanna see a 14.999999 with factory turbo and radials b4 considering a 4g63 swap or even a 14b turbo upgrade.

Apparently a good upgrade with this motor is Late model Starion injectors, 750cc and 1000cc, The throttle body is identical to the colt, injectors plug right in.
Mafs from the starion/conquest and ecu are all direct plug ins. I am currently searching for the MAF and ecu from 87-88 star/quest. This is hearsay, so dont take my word for it.

I have many pics of my cars at the following link.

http://photos.yahoo.com/drcolt2000

and

http://community.webshots.com/user/drcolt2000

I am currently putting the g32b colt on hold as i am gonna concentrate on my newest colt, the colt/mirage 4g61t.

I think Jon Ripple has a lot of experience with this model colt/mirage. He may be another person to direct questions regarding this model.