4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:43 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I am about to rebuild a spare 32BT engine that I bought a couple of years ago. Any pointers to what I need to look out for other than the standard rebuild? This is pretty much just a stock rebuild except the head will be ported a little bit and get rid of the jet valves.

I will be using the stock pistons, new standard sized rings, all new seals and gaskets, new water pump, new timing belt, etc.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:20 pm 
Some call me a god

Are you getting a new front cover or oil pump? When I did mine I didn't use a new front cover. They where available back then but I cant find one now.

Where are you sourcing your gaskets and seals from? I used an aftermarket kit. Price was good but the paper gaskets weren't and the rear main seal didn't fit well it came off soon after i rebuilt it. I was very disappointed. It was a black colored seal. I picked up a brown color one strainght from mitsu, it fit much better. I used rvt on it too.

If you can get a metal intake manifold gasket. My paper one leaked after 4 years/100k Kms. Not sure if those are made in metal. I picked up an oem paper one.

Get a dsm 1.8 clutch and pp. It works.

I went 20 over with mine. Also had the crank taken down 10 thou. I'm now running low oil pressure.

I'm going to do a water pump and timing belt on it this upcoming weekend. I reused the water pump. Now there's a weird sound coming from that area. I hope the pump and new tensioner will fix that.

Them I'll be looking at the rod and main bearings to see if I can get better idling oil pressure.

What are you using to eliminate the jet valves?

These cars are getting hard to maintain. I've seen only one at the wrecker this past year. I should have pulled more parts.

I'm running an 1.8 mpi manifold now with 450 dsm injectors.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:58 am 

I got two different kits, one from ebay and the other from Rockauto.com. I will use what I can out of these two kits but the rear main seal will be from mitsu. I will be using all new seals and parts: water pump, timing belts, head bolts and everything evlse that I can replace with new parts.

I haven't gotton my head back from the shop so I don't really know (see) how it is done. What he told me was that he will take out the jetvalves, weld the holes shut and cut off the extra flanges in the areas where the JV's used to be.

Thanks for the 1.8 clutch and pp idea. I would love to know how you run that 1.8 mpi stuff when my engine is done.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:36 am 
Restricted Newbie

drop me a pic of the car/engine etc. im having a g32b motor done right now. actually 2 of them. one at a professional shop and one that a friend is doing.

jeff
USMC

3 - 1984 Colt GTS Turbos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 am 

the 1.8 MPI stuff bolts right on. the only work is finding a way to control it. but even then, megasquirt is so cheap, it would be easy to just go that route

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28986