4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: new colt build pictures
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm 

haven't been around for a while. new colt project no restrictions.
3" downpipe and full 3" exhaust system.
true cold air intake box with 3" intake pipe
turbo talon airbox (heavyly modded)
-6 fuel supply line (no gas filter/restrictive banjo fitting in engine bay((there's one filter on the pump and two filters in the fuel rail))
-6 fuel return line and afpr set at 40psi
2" intercooler pipes
9x24x2.5 front mount intercooler core
innovative wideband
oil pressure gauge
boost gauge
in cabin boost controller set at 14 psi
talon bov recirced

i may attempt to try maf-t. tbi starions are able to use it with some modification, so it might be possible. i build talons now, but i had to have a old colt running again. i popped a ring racing a evo x up to 180 kph we were side by side. then i noticed the whipser of white smoke behind me....
seriously, this thing with a proper takeoff without spinning tires will stay beside stock sti's and evo x. but it is only good up to 160-180 kph. then you have to shift into 5th and the power is not the same. but 0-100 is fun time.
most of you already know and appreciate this fact.

i will post proper pics after i get proper pictures taken. still need a paint job. but it's winter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Bro, nice front end work. Very nice. I like it all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

VERY AGRESSIVE LOOKING, I LIKE IT, WHAT MITSU CAR GRILL IS THAT ONE?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:02 am 
Restricted Newbie

nice front end......... more pics and details please!

jeff
3 - '84 Colt GTS Turbos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 pm 

the front grill is the stock 85/86 grill with the 2" metal "rim" that said colt on the left hand side i think. it has been modified.
the front bumper is a stock one cut up and put back together with fiberglass. the lip is solid. if i put my foot on it, i push down the front of the car.

this build i tried all things i ever wanted to try. and i had to remove a few things because it made less power. i had upped the intercoolers piping to 2.5" but it had a bad lag to it. went back to 2" and the velocity went back up and the power was back.

my favorite mod has been the talon airbox. the factory airbox has 2 unmetered air openings, one already open the other not open from factory. a long time ago some people said to cut open the other hole to allow more air= more power. i did this to my last engine and i think that's why i popped racing the evo. WAY TOO LEAN. my wideband told my that with both holes opened up i was running a 13-15:1 a/f ratio in boost. 12:1 is safe and 10-11:1 is factory. so opening the second hole does give you power, but it creates a lean condition that will kill your motor when you're racing an evo.

so i have talon airboxes lying around. the pinout for the plug is the first issue.
it was designed for a 2.0 liter motor so it's way too rich for a 1.6l.
talon airbox controlls 4 injectors of the same cc/ colt's airbox only controls 2. idle injector and boost injector
talon air box is physically longer and has a larger metered air opening. and larger unmetered air opening.

so i took a talon airbox and wired it so it would work correctly. it ran the motor, but it was boggy and just not proper. so i took out all the electronics in the talon airbox including the karmann microphones and just swapped in all my colt airbox pieces(the computer in the airbox, the microphones and the stock colt plug.)
i blocked off the much larger unmetered air opening down to dual 1/2" holes. this gave me a much better air fuel ratio than hacking up the stock box. and it brought in more METERED air due to the larger opening, so the torque went up.
so the main reason i did this was to be able to run high boost(14-18psi) without going lean.
it worked, and a neat side effect from having more air brought into the airbox was that 10 psi now feels as powerful as 14psi did before. more air+more fuel= more power.
so i only really run about 14 psi because that's fast enough for me.

besides my talon is my race car. my colt is my work car.
talons got close to 400 horses. colts got 150-175 horses.
i g teched it last year and it claimed 155 horses and 179 torque
the new build should be a little better. but it's winter and i cant drive past 1 psi without the tires wanting to spin. so no numbers till it's warmer.

i still have to take more pictures.
this is my pictures from a few years ago. the red engine popped against the evo.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142272

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

damn dood. u have two colts? and i even saw a set of my favorite aftermarket rims ever in one of those pics on a celica. the old school enkei shoguns. :supz: