4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:57 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I just picked up a 84 Turbo Colt and looking to add a little power. It runs and all now but wondering what injectors i can swap in for more boost safely? Heard the conquest injectors work(not sure what size stock colt and conquest injectors are though) but heard there is a differance in the years? Also heard they are a different type of injector and need the conquest ecu and maf to run them and if so what year conquest is the best to get this stuff from and is a a direct swap? Also how do you get rid of fuel cut. I have been searching but so confused since i have a 84 and most of these are 85+.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

if it is the 85/86 motor it should have a MAP black box on the firewall. it should have a vacuum line running to it. if you unplug the plug, you will remove fuel cut. beware, 14 psi is close to max with the stock injectors. i've run up to 18 but you can hear the detonation crinkle.

if it is the 87/88 motor, fuel cut is controlled by intake air charge in the airbox. you have to take out the plugs in the airbox. there is 4 or 6 of them, and when you remove these it helps eleminate fuel cut.
if you're in yuor airbox, make sure the cardboard silencer is removed. more flow= more power.

i have been confused about fuel cut in the past. if your distributer vaccum advance diaphram is bad, it will cause a "fuel cut like" symtom. to test, remove the vacuum line and plug it off. then go for a boost. if fuel cut is gone, it's a bad boost retard diaphram.

i just set my distributor where it is safe and don't run the vac line at all. more spark advance = more power. too much will pop your engine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:52 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the info, but is the 84 considered a 85-86 engine or its own? I just found out the car does have a new tank pump and bigger injectors. It should be at my house tomorrow so i can start fiddling with it :D.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 pm 

never got to see a 84 turbo in person. so i'm not 100% sure, but i would put my bet on the MAP sensor. 84 was the first attempt at turbo. i know the 87/88 motor was redesigned(g32b) from the 85/86 version. different computer, intake runner length, exhaust manifold shape. i think they designed it to flow better. i know the exhaust flows better. no immediate cat on the 87/88.
what do you know about the bigger injectors? cc #'s?
that's interesting. they are a weird shape so they don't swap easy. starions have 2 injectors that are the same size. i almost used them but then i found they flow as much as my big injector does so there was no point. but the idle injector could be bigger.

cool. let us know what you find out.