4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 am 

Hey, I'm dropping a 'new' motor into my one-owner Turbo Colt. I need some new parts for the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do the new parts while the motor is out.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:54 pm 
Some call me a god

I say replace the TBI setup for a MPI manifold. Get an 4g37 intake from a 1.8 dsm, (91+). Then use a new MAP based stand alone, megasqiurt, or similar. If you decide to keep the TBI setup get the injectors cleaned and tested, (something I have yet to do).

The distributor vac advance/retard diaphragm sucks. They start to leak and dont retard the timing appropriately when under boost causing your motor to detonate. This part hard to get replacements for.

Your car probably does not have the jet valved engine? Apparently their a problem. (My car has never had any problems with them though.)

Make sure you use good seals from mitsubishi, the paper gaskets are pretty similar, but I used a rear seal from a non-oem kit. That seal was very tight going on and popped off, leaking oil everywhere. The OEM rear seal I got from Mitsu fit much better, also use a little rtv on the aluminum contact surfaces of the rear main / front / cam seals. That is supposed to help them from coming off.

I'd recommend getting a kM206/F5M22, they're easy to get parts for instead of the older trannies. I cant say for sure if your axles will work as I know little about the 84 turbo car. You'd also have to get cables/shifter from it and, depending on where you source the KM206, you may need to switch the shifter arms on the tranny. All this is probably a pain if you have to source new axles and shifter/cables, but IMHO, the KM206 will hold the power better.

Additionally, my 88 g32b/km206, since a rebuild 2.5 years ago, has been running a 4g37 ACT clutch and pressure plate. I am very happy with the clutch although I did have some installation issues, (mostly my fault).

Good luck, take lost of pictures and post em up!

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 am 
Restricted Newbie

84 Colt GTS Turbo has a 1.6L Jet Valved engine with an 8 speed trans......... unlike the later year mirage's......... which i belive had a 4 or 5 spd trans and a 1.5L engine. Alot of the internal engine parts can be bought but just getting the engine rebuilt and adding an intercooler will get ya a little more zip.

FYI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

^ the 1.6 g32b turbo was used in the colt turbo's till 88. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:31 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'd like to add that the second gen (square looking body style) was made up to 3/89. From 4/89, mitsu changed the body style to the one seen on home page of this site (without the fancy body work, of course) with the 4g61t engine.