4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:47 pm 
Restricted Newbie

So, I'm a beginner mechanic. Reasonably apt, but very inexperienced. I can't weld, and don't know anyone who does. And I'm on a budget.
I'm 26, have a heated garage, basic toolset, jacks, and an engine hoist (fluke!).

My clutch is slipping, and my tranny is having significant problems. I want to fix before anything blows up, obviously.

I had thought I had a tranny identical to my current one (5spd, cable - not hydralic) lined up, but apparently my supplier thinks it was only available for a single year. So it's not lined up after all. He's looking.

Meanwhile, I've got a G15B (1.5 L, na, carb'd) that is still running great. But who doesn't want a few more horses than 63? I ride motorcycles, so this is my winter car. I don't need an upgrade at all, really. My bike is way more exciting than this car will ever be. But a few more ponies would be nice.

I don't have a specific budget, but these repairs need to be done, so if it's not a lot more.....

Is there (for example) an easy engine + tranny swap I could do from a car that's more available? I imagine the G32B would be straightforward, but the EFI, axles, etc might get wonky. I just don't know.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone knows something pretty easy that I could manage that would solve my transmission replacement need, and perhaps even be a better engine?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Um, whoops. Forgot the basics. It's an '89 Colt 100 DL from Canada. The square type body, not the civic-like body. (C10 not C50?)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:18 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Um, whoops. Forgot the basics. It's an '89 Colt 100 DL from Canada. The square type body, not the civic-like body. (C10 not C50?)
Sorry, you're pretty limited.. Its a C10 style. The hatchback is actually a C12.

If you have access to a whole car from firewall to front, you can swap it from that with no problem.
Sticking to naturally aspirated engines might be the cheapest way to go. You can use a 4g15 out of a later model CSM, the only difference is having the ECU, an actual harness to it and EFI if I'm not mistaken. Its generically identical otherwise, minus the distributor location. I'm sure you can splice it and make it work.
There's also many Mitsubishi Precis/Hyundai Excel and Elantra that you can borrow the engines/trannys from.
I could suggest a 1.8 Liter 4g37 out of a base model DSM or a Galant. The transmission for the 1.8 is cable still, and a 5-speed. I forget the PN on it but its similar to the Colt's 5-speed. Supposedly from what I've read on here it lines right up. Pretty sure they're in other models such as Cordias and Tredias [if you can even find those anymore].

Actually here's a link on wikipedia to a list of the cars with the G15b and other Orion engines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Orion_engine
and for the Saturn/4g series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi ... ngine#4G37

EDIT: annnnd the Sirius engine family of 4g's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4G6_engine#4G63

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:54 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well, the clutch was becoming urgent, the tranny still sucks, and the oil leak has turned out worse than I thought. Anyone need a parts car? ;) Kind of a bummer, because the body and interior are in such good shape.

So I bought a 1993 MX-3. 164 000 km. Needs rear struts and a flex pipe. It's just a second car for commuting with anyway. We've got a 2007 Rabbit for primary use. And I ride the motorcycle in the summer.

Ah, it's too bad there isn't more available parts/support for this car, cuz it's a nice looking car. Cheers, boys 'n' girls! I'll be on a different forum, now. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:06 pm 
CSM Junkie

what color interior?