4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: tranny question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ok, so the motor is out of the sedan, and the work will start getting heated. So, I can't use the 5 speed from the sedan cuz it uses rods for linkedg. I don't want to keep the 4 speed so, some people on here said a dsm 5 speed. That will probably be the path I take. So other than the tranny, what should I grab at the wreckers? Will my shifter in the 88 hatch work all 5 gears. This I need to know asap cuz the motor goes in the hatch this week end, I hope, thaks again for the help.

Post subject: Re: tranny question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 pm 
Some call me a god

Look at the leavers on the tranny end of the 4 speed. They should be exactly the same or similarly as the 5 speed. If the are not you may be able to get more adjustment from the shifter end of the cables if they are not solid.

My 88 has the cables that are adjustable, makes getting longer or shorter cables as needed easier. However my 91 does not such cables making my swap harder.

You can also swap leavers between trannies. One just bolts on but the other need a pin drilled out, PITA.

Just be prepared for headaches, DSM are longer and have longer shifter cables.

Good luck

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

deco you are going to sell me your tranny right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:54 pm 

Junk yard its yours. Shipping may eat you up but you can have it. So j2dapo, what your saying is. As long as the levers are the same I can just swap the 2 and they will work, if there not the same, then I can swap the cables? And it will be good and it should have all 5 gears right? Well I hope. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Sorry its hard to explain!

Different Mitsubishi cars shared trannies but had different shift levers on the tranny, and had different cables and shifters. I'll post a pic it's easier to explain.

John

94 Audi s4 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:41 pm 
CSM Junkie

Like j2dapo said basically had a large little parts bucket and a tiny big parts bucket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Sorry crappy IPhone pics

Note how the cables are attached to the tranny, that bracket is from the colt tranny, F5M21/KM201.

In the above picture, (of a AWD/FWD switchable tranny), in my 91 summit, I swapped the F5M21/KM201 top leaver on to the tranny and placed the JDM one beside it to compare. The colt lever is shorter than to JDM one, this leaver is easy to swap, just two bolts and it works well.

I still have the second leaver to address. I can get the cable on it but its too short and I can't shift it. This second leaver is a Pain to remove, there is a pin you have to drill out half way and then punch it out backwards.

As you can see from the picture below it does not come close to where the JDM tranny leaver is. On the colt tranny this leaver is way shorter and bends differently; the cable connects to it from underneath. I could do what other have and drill a hole in the middle of this leaver and bolt it on.

I'll update this as I find a solution. I'm going to try and zip tie that second leaver to the cable where I think I would drill the hole for a bolt to see if I can shift it that way. I'm also going to see about drilling out the original colt shifter arm from the F5M21/KM201, (there's info on this in the archive).

Be sure to get as many parts from the DSM as you can, like that bracket(s) that holds the cables on the tranny.

Hope that helps!!!!

94 Audi s4 - sold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 am 

More than helpful bro, thank you so much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:46 am 

Ok so there is a lot more than what I thought. What trany from a dsm shold I be looking for. Will a 5 speed from a 4g37 powerd dsm be a good choice, or do I want to be looking for a turbo dsm with a fwd 5. Then there are axles, what do I need, not need, want and don't want. I mean, will my axles work, or will I need dsm axles, will they work, also when I pulled the motor out of the turbo sedan the driver side axle had a mounting point on the motor. The hatch, well, doesn't. Is that bad, I didn't pull the axles off the sedan because they were rusted to the hubs. Ok well that's a lot of info I am asking for so any help, would be good, really good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:08 am 
CSM Junkie

i think any non turbo fwd 5 speed dsm tranny will work

you will have to get colt GT axels for it to work in your car with a dsm tranny

but try and get your axels out and save your sedan hubs and brakes the bigger and vented

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:20 pm 
Some call me a god

Yup use your sedan axels, if you can't get the Axel out of the hub take the whole hub off and swap it. That will give you the bigger disks too. 8)

Test the axels in the dsm tranny too, don't guess. It should be a F5M22.

Good luck

94 Audi s4 - sold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

his car is an 86 the tranny is different and i think the axels are to its a KM162, Km172, km182

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:49 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
his car is an 86 the tranny is different and i think the axels are to its a KM162, Km172, km182
I C. :rolleyes: Hes going to have to be a guinea pig on this one; I haven't tried to search to see if anyone else swapped a f5m22/km206 into an older 85/86 turbo CSM.

Do you think those older trannies position the axels differently? Or have different spline counts? I've seen pics of the 85/86 axles somewhere and they did look different than the KM206/g32b intermediate shaft setup found on the 87/88 turbo CSM cars.

Consider my 91 summit. It has an AWD tranny with a 4g63 and I'm using a set of axles out of a 2 gen 88 turbo colt, its messed up I know. I did not know if any of this would work it was trial and error, (and the car has not been driven yet), but those axels popped fine into the stock km201, a sonata km210. and the AWD tranny, currently in it.

Its hard to see why mitsu would change things that much.....

94 Audi s4 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm 

Oh hell, you guys just jacked me up. Ok, the roters from the sedan were shot, the calipers also, and the hubs. Let's just say it was hard to tell were the bolt started, and the axle started. it was that bad. so, with that said, i dont have the axles, hubs, brakes, or anything else from the sedan, and its gone. So, to late even if they were good. Sorry but I live in a small track housing community and I had to get rid of it. Any way, this is where I am. I have now, a 1988 colt hatch e 100. The brakes are the same as the sedan, I have a crappy 4 speed that came in it. I am about to drop in my g32bt, from a 86 premire. I have the compleat wiring harness for the motor and chassis. I figured swapping over all the wires and sinsors for everything would be easyer than trying to figure the 2 out. So with that said. I have this week to be driving, so I may be stuck with a 4 speed for a bit, I will be getting a fadinza flywheel and cm clutch when I get a new tranny. So I have time. Any way, I take it I have to get a dsm tranny, even a 1st gen 37 tranny, but the axles will not work. Ok, how about a 5 lug conversion using the dsm hubs, will that work, or maybe even using a 5 speed from a 3rd or 4th gen merage. Hell I rambled way to long. Thanks for the help.