4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: hatch??? or no hatch!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

ok, you all no where i am, i got a 86, it needs more body work than i can list, its got a low mile motor that sat, for a long time. well that motor is just about done now. i will be running it soon, however i still need, fenders, brakes, window seals, head lights, grill, and paint, a lot a lot of paint. so, with that said, i just came across a 87 hatch, non turbo that is cheap enough to get just for the parts i need, but i am thinking that keeping it, and swapping my motor would be a way better idea. its lighter, i think it may even look a little better. what do you all think. let me know..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 pm 

Post some pics if you can!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:17 pm 

Ok, checked out the car today, paint, bad, body, good, motor, 1.5 runs but high miles. Inside, wow, it is bad, but my 86 is very good. So questions. Will the back seat from my sedan fit in the hatch. Also, trany???? In the 86 5 speed the shifter is conected to the trany with rods. Now is the 5 speed in the 87, with the 1.5 the same as the 5 speed in my 86, or could I use the 86 trany in the 87, useing the 87's shift cables. This is very important to know for the swap. Some one tell me something, I think I really want to do this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

the seats are different
the rear bumpers are different

the 86 trans i rod actuated
the 87 should be cable but im not sure
agian there were split year cars

but if i remember correctly the 87 is cableshift and hydro clutch
1.5 or 1.6

if it is then you can put a fwd dsm trans in it with gt axel's

but check the car out
and if it is its not a bigg deal you can run that trans for a while

again if it is let me know ill buy your trans cause its so low miles

AKA DIBBBS on the trans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 pm 

Very very much, you always come through. So ok, it is a 1.5, with the 5 speed, so I can use that trany, and if it goes south then a 1 g dsm trany will work, right. Now the back seat. How much diferant. I never looked side by side so tell me, do you think I could make it work, or at least recover the hatch seat with the sedan cloth. I know it sounds like over kill but my kids will be back there and I don't want them sitting on the nasty seats. The sedan seats look almost new. One other plus though, the dash in the hatch is almost perfect. Ok well I forgot this also, I never got a new fuel tank for the sedan, this car has the electric feed back carb and I think it has a return line but don't know, any one know, also are the hard fuel lines the same size, I will be getting an inline pump so the other lines will get replaced. Well that's more than enough so I am going to say thanks again and have a good night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

the 87 may have a cable clutch
but not sure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:01 am 
Some call me a god

You can't really use a turbo fwd dsm tranny on a 1.5/1.6 2 gen because they use a smaller flywheel. However a km206/f5m22 from a non turbo car will work, that's what's in my 88 sedan. That tranny is common and oem on 88 turbo g32b csm's.

Also make sure your donor/swap car has a hydro clutch. If you plan on keeping/ using the car daily so you can have more options - those older linkage or vacum actuated trannies are hard to get parts for.

Wouldn't your sedan be better suited for hauling kids?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:29 pm 

Ya, it would be, however, as I was getting farther into the sedan I started finding a lot of bad, when it was crashed, the guy who fixed it just welded on a rad support, well the tranny mount was tweeked and pushed back about an inch, also I found out that the last time it was regestered was in 89, and well it was totled out, so I wouuld have to try and get a salveged title, with the age of the car, and its condition, that won't happen. Its ok though, got a good motor, seats, door panles, and other stuff that will make my new 400$ 87 colt hatch look really good, and run nicely. The 87 comes home today, and the work begans. I will post picks this week. Thanks every one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 am 

any pics of the beast yet?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:39 am 

ya but i need to find a place to put the pics up that will let me put up as many as i want and i never did figure out how to post them everyone else always did it for me. hook me up with tips and i will post the progress on "my build act 2" thanks everyone