4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:34 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

ok got it put all back together after donig a head job. i busted a banjo bolt for my oil inlet for the turbo when wrenching it up, and lucky for me trev tec came to the rescue. so now its done and ready to start but now when i start it, well it sounds like its not running, i mean it is just very very weak, will not accelerate at all, i cant put my finger on it, the plugs got fouled when it was dumping oil, so i replaced them. it almost seems like its not getting fuel now, but it ran great befor i did the head, and i dont think its timeing cuz i put it back the same as it came apart. i didnt even let the cam gear come off the belt. i just dont get it, can any one help.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:05 pm 
CSM Junkie

check your cam timing its probably that its off one tooth
thats what my car did when i did my water pump in the advanced auto parking lot

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:48 pm 

i checked it like 500 times now, i am just getting so frustrated. there is one proplem. when the crank is lined up the cam is like a fraction of a fraction of an inch off. i thought about moving the cam gear one tooth, but then it will be off to far the other way. i really dont get it. when i pulled the cam gear off, i marked the belt with the mark and i lined them up when i put it back. is ther a way to move it less than a tooth. i dont even know if that would mater. ok, this is how i have it. number one cylinder, all the way up, timeing mark lind up on the crank, at the same time, both valves are closed, if i rotate the drive the piston moves down, when it gets down and starts to move up the exahst valve opens, then it does the same with the intake valve and when the piston reaches the top of its stroke the roter is making contact on number one. is that right? i dont know what else to do.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 pm 
Some call me a god

How is it that you were able to do a head job with out removing the timing belt from the cams? It does sound like it is off one tooth, I had similar issues when I put my engine together. I believe the intake cam was off one tooth, this caused it hard to start, and once running it would not idle properly, could not run well under boost unless it was more than 5 psi.

Check the cam/crank timing.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm 

If it is difficult to line up the timing marks (as I found out it is), just pop out the #1 spark plug, and turn the crank by hand and watch for Top Dead Centre, and with the valve cover off you can check the timing for the cam opening the exhaust port. Just a manual check to confirm what the marks are telling you.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 pm 
CSM Junkie

its dowel pin to aluminum stud thing on the oil pump cover
then dash to mark up top

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Did you get your dizzy back in there correctly, did you check the timing?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:08 pm 

well the reason i didnt have to take the timeing belt off the cam gear is because i removed the cam gear from the cam then removed the head. any way, everything said i have tried, its good to know i must be getting better at this, 6 months ago i had no idea at all.the dizzy i must have taken out and put back 10 times, but thanks everyone, i will just keep picking away at it.