4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1984 Colt 4G63 Swap info
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 pm 
Some call me a god

Ive been digging through here looking for some info on this swap but I cant seem to find much specific info. I have a swap coming in for a 1984 Colt, the car is already a turbo car. Looking for info on Mounts, Axles and tranny options. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am 
Some call me a god

Really....nothing from nobody??

How about this, I will take lots of pics and do a write up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

As far as I can tell only 8vavleprick on here has done this swap. Search his userid and you should come up with some info. His car was listed on here for sale recently. Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

just some base info for you the cars are cable clutch and shift rod and cable for the hi low

i do know that a 4g63 does bolt up to the stock trans but i bet it will last about 30 seconds

you should be able to use stock 4g61 axels and a dsm trans

but im only pretty sure on this stuff

deffinetly take lots of pictures and stuff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:24 pm 
Some call me a god

Well here is the plans after Toby talked with 8valve Prick

4G61
92ish CSM tranny and shifters (guess a dsm one is too large near the diff and will hit on something)
Custom mounts
Axles I will see what is needed when I get there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:34 pm 
Some call me a god

yeah an 84 is different compared to the 85-88 cars as you found with the need of custom mounts.

I will get you a better picture of the km201 vs the km210. the km21x are much bigger in that rear area.

I have an extra 88 g32b timingbelt side mount if you need to look at it. I can take some pics?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 am 
Some call me a god

So on a 85-88 its a much easier swap??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

87 and 88 are a lot easier

85 and 86 are the same mounts as the 87 and 88 but the same style trans as a 84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:16 am 
Some call me a god

yup a 87-88 turbo model would be the best as they come with a KM206 and an intermediate shafts/equal length axels, (similar to the 89 turbo). You should be able too use the elantra timing belt side mount. Look at mirragist's car he has a 4g63 in it, he also has some wiring guides.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:27 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

so trev when you getting started, i want that manny!!!! also what kinda ecu are you going to be using for that swap?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:33 pm 
CSM Junkie

i heard theres a lot fabrication involve in order to install a 4g63t to a 84 colt, is not imposible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:52 pm 
Some call me a god

I seen a 92 Colt on Craigslist for $200, it was clean, had cold A/C and Toby picked that up for the swap instead. Sorry guys, no ugly Colt swap :toimonster:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

damnit

:evil: :toimonster:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 pm 
Restricted Newbie

well i have my 85 mirage and i looked up a 4g63 swap came up empty handed my step dad told me the 4g63 might be to big and would rip the poor thing to shreds its has also been hard to find after market parts for such a kik ass classic but i found a site with the info on the 4g63 swaps and all the cars that it is capable of working for

Here is the info that I have compiled thus far concerning the swap of a 4G63, 2.0L Turbo motor from a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, GSX, Eagle Talon TSI FWD or AWD, and/or Plymouth Laser RS Turbo into a 4th Generation, 1993-1996, Mitsubishi Mirage, Eagle Summit, Dodge Colt. Thanks to Evil93Evo, aka Tom, for the majority of this info. It was collected from several different posts that he made, so it is just pieced together. This info is probably similar to what blytz has posted on www.miragetuner.com/
With no further adieu, here is the file:

You need to modify the timing belt mount by cutting and moving the rubber section of a 89 turbo mount, this is easiest if you use a combination of a talon mount and the mirage turbo mount. You may need to slot the holes on the other transmission mounts slightly if your car has been in an accident before. You will need to use the ECU and wiring harness from the same year engine you have ready to install. Get a good wiring diagram for both cars before you begin, if the car has a factory tachometer it will not read correctly. You will need to use a flywheel from a 2.0 non turbo DSM fwd 89-94 make sure it has the correct number of bolt holes for your engine (ie 6 bolt or 7 bolt). Buy the ACT clutch kit, anything else will not hold up as they all use stock type pressure plates. ACT part #MB3-XTR6 holds 414ft lbs of torque. You will be able to use the factory transmission with the 4G63 as long as you aren’t doing serious drag racing with slicks even the 1.5 transmission will work, but if you can, use the 1.8 transmission and axles. You must use the starter and the plate that mounts behind the flywheel from the original mirage engine, it will bolt right onto the 4G63. The 4g63 may bring the need to bend one of the under-hood braces slightly to gain clearance for the timing belt cover; mine did only after a replacement hood, not a big deal! As far as time line goes if you have all the parts together it should take about 8 hrs total to do the swap, You will need to build all the intercooler piping and exhaust piping yourself or pay someone to do it for you. So allow some time for that. You will need to use a upgraded fuel pump for a second Gen eclipse, then slightly dent down the gas tank under the pump for added clearance, about 1.5hrs work. I do all my own work, so it cost me about 3000 dollars total for everything, but I did extra stuff most people don’t need. I had a modified ECU, AFC, big front mount intercooler, 16g, full 3" exhaust, 550cc injectors. So if you are just using a stock engine you can save big bucks. I was just wondering why you would be interested in using a 2g ECU and wiring with the swap? There are a lot of drawbacks to the 2G system if you are installing it in a 93-96 car, first off the fact that they are OBD2 and require all the sensors to go with it, some not available for on a 1g type engine, second the Cost of a 95+ ECU is higher and you lose the cheap ECU modifications and data-logging available for the 1g ECU. I have done the swap and the wiring is no harder than installing a stereo system if you have the wiring diagrams. Basic soldering skills are needed, and how to use a voltmeter. Basically you need a + power constant on for memory, + power on with ignition, chassis ground, clutch safety switch, vehicle speed sensor, check engine light, fuel pump wire, coolant temp sensor for gauge, oil pressure wire for light or gauge (not part of engine harness). All the other wiring for the engine is part of the engine harness. Get out your Voltmeter and start checking continuity and for power wires from the ECU harness then label everything showing where it goes, it’s a lot easier to fix problems now instead of when you are trying to start it for the first time. So only use a 2g ECU if you want to use a 2g motor, but then you might as well just keep the 1.5 at least they don’t have crank walk (hehe, I like that part-Chris). You will need to use a mirage transmission because the 1g fwd does not mount the engine like the mirage; the mirage mounts like a 2g eclipse with 3 transmission mounts and one motor mount. Most used 2g FWD turbo transmissions are about 1700-1900 bucks, but they maybe able to be modified to mount in the mirage. The non-turbo transmission for an eclipse is an F5M22 just like the 1.8 mirage but without the extra mounts. My Car ran 11.81 at 121.9 mph last year with a stock long block and a small 16g. I used a 1.8 liter transmission I bought from a junkyard. My Colt had a cable clutch from the factory, so I just switched it to hydraulic style by changing to a 1.8 manual pedal cluster, had to drill a couple holes in the firewall to mount the master cylinder but it was no big deal at all. I paid about 50 bucks for the pedal cluster, master cylinder and slave, and the lines to run to the transmission. So you really don’t need to worry about finding a 1.8 car if you are willing to switch it over. I have to agree with Bill (AWD92GSX) on the ECU differences, I would much rather use a 1g ECU and wiring with a 2g MAS. That should be good up to around 500 hp. But if you are trying to use a 2g motor use the 2g ECU. Here is some of the info you were looking for, the transmission that I originally used was a F5M21 (1.5L Tranny) and I just recently changed to a F5M22 (1.8L Tranny) and all the hydraulic system it uses. To tell you the truth the F5M21 held up to the power better than the F5M22 and if you are going to use the non turbo engine I wouldn't mess with switching them as of yet. I was able to run 12.5 sec at 114mph with the F5M21 transmission on slicks and launching at 5000rpm. You will need to switch the plate between the engine and transmission from the 1.5 to the 2.0, it mounts behind the flywheel, so you can use the 1.5 starter, which works fine even for the 2.0L no problem. You will also need to use the flywheel and clutch from the 2.0 non-turbo you have, the turbo upgrades won't fit in a F5M2X type transmission, try ACT for an upgrade they are the only ones that work for me. My car had no black box by the driver’s headlight from the factory, so it was not an issue. Besides none of the wiring came from that side except the oil pressure light wire.

This is all the info that I have. Enjoy reading it, I hope that it helps out some of you who are actually doing the swap.