4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 86 colt update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

ok so i started pulling the car apart and i found something intresting. the car was in a front end colision, that i knew, however when trying to remove the turbo, the outlet to the IM was pressed up against the EM. i checked the EM and turbo, they look fine not bent, or cracked, so i am starting to think that when the car was hit the compressor side of the turbo rotated. any thoughts on this? can it happen? the pin to line up the 2 halfs of the turbo is still there. also the waste gate is trashed, would i be better off installing a external waste gate, or what should i look for to replace. thanks

Post subject: Re: 86 colt update
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

you should buy my turbo off my car

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:13 pm 

the turbo is good, just need a new wastegate, in fact, most i have seen look the same, so would like to keep what i have right now, im not in a big rush to have a header built just yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:07 am 
CSM Junkie

i have a stock turbo on my car now im going bigger when i do my 4g37 manifold
if i see another turbo car ill grab the waste gate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:43 pm 

sweet junk yard, that would be cool, there are no turbo anythings in our pick your part. hay do you know anything about the hybrid turbos i seen on this site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

yea somebody did one and they said it wasnt very impressive but it did work

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 am 
Some call me a god

I have a 13g with the correct cold side housing on my car with the 9b wastegate on it. I liked the upgrade, there have been others that have machined the 9b compressor housing for 11b/13g wheels too. There is also some one that machined both sides and put in a te04 13c from a dodge onto his g32b, I rode in that car it was a nice upgrade.

My car seems to run lean though and I have not tried to turn up the boost. I need to boost leak test it and scrap the TBI.

I think that an exhaust is a better path to go before a bigger turbo. Have a look at your cat back its tiny.

I check to see if I have another 9b wastegate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:52 pm 

that would be great seems to be one part i am now having a hard time finding. what about taking the waste gate off another turbo thats close in size and just retroing a braket to mount it up. what do you think will it work?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:01 pm 
Some call me a god

The thing about the 9b is that the waste gate lever moves in the opposite direction of a other commonly found mitsu turbos. If you look at the lever on a 9b and compare it to the lever on a 11b/13g/14b/16g, you'll know what I mean.

If you want to use the 9b exhaust side housing with the internal gate then its easier to keep the 9bs actuator. That's what I did with the 13g I put on.

Sorry about taking so long to look for that actuator, its been bitterly cold this past week. I check for you soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:51 pm 

thats fine, i didnt realize that they moved opposite so thats good to know. if i had the mpi ready to go i would just replace the whole thing along with a new em with an external wastegate. i am going to run a full 3 inch cat back exhaust soon, the mpi is just throwing me off because the whole ecu thing, plus christmas is killing my budget. any way i need to get the car on the road befor i make any mods, well the charged air pipe was smashed so i am running a 2.5 inch air intake, and rather than do it 2 times i am putting in an intercooler first. but i need to get the car on the road so i need to find a wastegate. thanks bro, for all your help. oh and i almost forgot, the secondary air pipe, you know the one from the turbo outlet, its bent up bad. what can i do in its place, can it come out, will it pass smog, or even run?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:17 am 
Some call me a god

Secondary air is not needed to run. Mine is gone and capped at the O2 housing. I also was able to remove the secondary air filter under the TBI. All the secondary air does is add extra O2 into the exhaust on cold startups to help out the cat a little before it gets up to normal operating temps.

It is part of emission though so you may have to have it. I don't know if its required, we have no testing here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:57 pm 
Some call me a god

You can see the 9b actuator on top. Look at the port and its position relative to the diaphragm. The 13g actuator moves in the opposite direction. PM me if your still want the 9b actuator.

Here is an old pic of the secondary air tube I removed. I cut it just above O2 housing because that flange nut was just not going to come off. I don't know if I still have it kicking around, I may. Shipping that thing may cost more than just getting your fixed. Let me know and I search for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:46 am 

so i spent some time at the junk yard this week end, picked up a 1g dsm frunt bumber, and steering wheel. i also picked up a hood latch off a subie that i will be fabing up a mount for. i ordered a waste gate and flange, found a guy that will weld the flang onto my ex many for me. the grill, and head lights were bothering me, i just dont care much for them so i am going another route. i picked up some 5 inch round hella head lights that i will be changing the bulb to a 60/40 hi low, and a 55 watt 3 1/2 inch driving lights. last i will be getting a 1 1/2 inch light that i will be putting amber bulbs in for my turn lights. i am useing fiber glass and fabing a new grill that will hold the lights. i got big plans so it should turn out ok. i will get picks up very soon. thanks to every one for there help so far i dont think i could have done this with out all your help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:37 pm 

well, lucky lucky me. i have about everything i need to get this thing done. stuff for body work even. just need to figure out the maf, and relocate battery, BUT!!!!! in our ever failing econamy, I just got laid off!!!! so now, i can only do what i have. so now its all about body work. been doing a lot of fiber glass work and such. what a bummer, i was hopeing to be driving by the end of feb but now its looking a bit latter than that. oh well, so is life right. any way i put a bunch of picturs on photo bucket but have no idea what to do from there so when i get it all set i will post a link here. thanks every one for all your support with this project.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 pm 

1st gen dsm bumpers dont fit our body at all. i tried it, and it would involve too much work, and still not fit right. i did fit up a hyundai accent rear bumper though. i even used the hyundai support. with very little work, it slide right into the colt chasis even. i hope to get a accent front bumper, and see if i can get that to fit.