4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Blue timing belt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

So i have been looking pretty hard and i cant seem to find any color other then black for the timing belt for a g32b. I want to get one of the goodyear blue ones or a HKS purple one but im sure no one makes one. If any one has any insight let me know

thanks Jonathan

Post subject: Re: Blue timing belt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:17 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
So i have been looking pretty hard and i cant seem to find any color other then black for the timing belt for a g32b. I want to get one of the goodyear blue ones or a HKS purple one but im sure no one makes one. If any one has any insight let me know

thanks Jonathan
Why do you want one of these timing belts? Just because it's a different color? If so, that's a pretty stupid reason to spend big money on a kevlar belt. To answer your question, nobody makes one for the G32B, why would they? There's probably zero demand for something like that. Before buying a belt like this you need to ask yourself if you plan on revving past 9,500rpm for long periods of time. If the answer is no, save your money and buy a regular timing belt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am 
CSM Junkie

yea it is a dumb reason but its what i wanted so there. i know why they make them for the cars they do i just thought it would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

and why do you have to bash every question i have

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:09 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
Quote:

thanks Jonathan
Why do you want one of these timing belts? Just because it's a different color? If so, that's a pretty stupid reason to spend big money on a kevlar belt. To answer your question, nobody makes one for the G32B, why would they? There's probably zero demand for something like that. Before buying a belt like this you need to ask yourself if you plan on revving past 9,500rpm for long periods of time. If the answer is no, save your money and buy a regular timing belt.
Some people (like me) want them for greater reliablity so you dont have to wonder if you timing belts going to go at 50k or 160k. If they made one for the 61t, I'd just get the kevlar one and replace it every 75k with the waterpump.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:58 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
and why do you have to bash every question i have
You may call it bashing, but I call it honesty. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to tell it like it is. I hate to see people waste money on shit they don't need.
Quote:
Some people (like me) want them for greater reliablity so you dont have to wonder if you timing belts going to go at 50k or 160k. If they made one for the 61t, I'd just get the kevlar one and replace it every 75k with the waterpump.
Well, the interval is every 60k, and I still think that's how often it should be changed. Just because the belt is kevlar, doesn't mean it's indestructible, and there are lots of other components that can fail in that system that will make the motor trainwreck even if you have a $140 timing belt on it. The biggest thing about a Kevlar belt that makes it worthwhile is the fact that it won't stretch and flex at super-high RPM's, and that's the only reason anyone should be buying one if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:42 am 
CSM Junkie

thank you tonus for your opinion it just felt like you were bashing thats all but i appericate your input

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:18 am 
Some call me a god

Maybe there is a 4g37 belt you can use on the g32b. Also note that g32b are non-interference engines.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:59 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Maybe there is a 4g37 belt you can use on the g32b. Also note that g32b are non-interference engines.

so define non-interference as it is related to this, i have seen you say this a few times and i was just wondering what it means. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:43 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
so define non-interference as it is related to this, i have seen you say this a few times and i was just wondering what it means. thanks
Non-interference means if the timing belt snaps the valves won't contact the pistons, there is enough space in the combustion chamber for it to clear. If the belt breaks, just put a new belt on and you're good to go. Interference means the valves will contact the pistons, and if your belt breaks you will bend valves and likely ruin your cylinder head.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:50 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

thanks never knew that, good to know. I only ever knew that snapping a timing belt ment most likly getting a new head, and maybe block.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:59 pm 

Mitsu did good design! Non-interference is good for this economy! Since I dont know
my engine's history and always scared it might snap soon, I can enjoy the car and save
up until then (hopefully I can save up before it breaks). That's good info!! How about 4g63's? Happy new year!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:35 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
How about 4g63's?
4G63's are interference engines. About 90% of Mitsu engines are interference actually.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:12 am 

Thank you for the info Captain Tonus! Got a VR4, so got to be careful and save more money.
Fortunately I know the former owner...
Happy new year!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:11 pm 
Some call me a god

Not all g32b/4g32 engines are non-interference. AFAIK, only the 2g CSM jet-valve turbo version are.