4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Any one close
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:17 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

So as i start to work on this 86 colt i am faced with the reality that i really dont know much. I am so into this thing that I cant even think of any thing else. so, I need help, the info i get here is great but to find some loc. support would be the bomb. so any one out there in sothern nevada. :supz:

Post subject: Re: Any one close
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:42 am 

Northern Colorado here. I've got '86 and '88 Colt turbos up here. Here's a couple of things I've learned in rebuilding these 2 over the past 5 or 6 years.

1. Exhaust manifolds are usually cracked and will leak deadly carbon monoxide into the engine bay and hence into the passenger compartment fresh air intake at the base of the windshield. If yours is cracked there are not many alternatives, buy a new one if you can find one through either Mitsubishi or Chrysler -or- find a welding wizard that will attempt to repair your cracked, scaly, rusted chunk o' cast iron.

2. '85-'86 G32B and '87-'88 G32B have the same block and head but since the '87-'88 engine leans forward a few degrees in its engine mounts relative to the '85-'86 position the intake and exhaust manifolds are different and although they are bolt to bolt compatible they fit to the engine at different angles and lengths. Same holds true for the engine mounts, the oil pan etc.

3. Parts for these cars are in short supply. Whenever you find a parts car don't hesitate to either buy it complete or strip as much as you can from it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am 
Some call me a god

Good tips on the exhaust manifolds. Another problem with them is that they like to warp and when they do they don't seal very well. One theory is that the TBI setup causes the 1st and 4th cylinders to run leaner than the 2nd and 3rd cylinders and the the difference in heat causes them to warp.

I have three 87-88 manifolds and all of them are warped on the head flange, two of them are cracked, one of them is welded and on on my car now. The third is going to the machine shop to get that flange worked over. Once that is done I will enlarge the bolt holes on that flange to enable the manifold to move somewhat when it heats up and hopefully avoid further warping.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 am 

i feel like the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold was this cars major downfall. Anyone agree?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:10 pm 

more good info. i am not short of that now, every one here has been a great help so far, still hope to find a csm loving person in sothern nevada that i could get together with and go to town. i was at the junk yard the other day and there were 5 1g dsm 2 of which were almost compleat. how about the shifter, whats the best one to get to shorten it up, and last i seen some coil over mods from gc on this site, j2dapo, your car is almost the same do you, or any one else know if that will work on my 86 sedan. i only ask cuz the back doesnt have a strut its a shock, with a spring in front of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 pm 
Some call me a god

If you can get rid of the TBI intake manifold the lean running on the outside cylinders will be reduced :partyman: and the engine will run better IMHO.

There is no bolt in aftermarket parts for these cars. You have to search the wreckers for things that look like they'll work or get new OEM stuff.

For the front. I replace the struts a couple of years ago and I just put in new end links - highly recommended mod for only $10. If you have a hatch try the sedan front springs, the colt manual states they have a slightly different rate.

For the rear new KYGs shocks will help alot - I also found a set of 86 Saab 900 turbo rear springs that I want to try.