4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Hey guys.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 am 

Just wanna say this place has ton's of info.

I bought a local members car here in St louis MO and i was wonderind is there some place close by in st louis to get a bottomed and a head job done for the 4g63? i plan on being able to run 20lbs or more so i know im going to need studs and a comtec-head gasket but is there anything els motor wise i would need ..

Im new to this whole 4cyl deal but it is very fun no doubt ive not drove the v8 car since i got it .LOL

Rob

im hearing a rattle very faint around 2000 rpms sounds like a knock some times. so im sure the bottom end is going to go soon its only pushing 8lbs right now due to a sliping clutch.

Post subject: Re: Hey guys.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:44 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
i plan on being able to run 20lbs or more so i know im going to need studs and a comtec-head gasket but is there anything els motor wise i would need ..
You can run a lot more boost than that on a stock head gasket and stock studs, as long as you have a safe enough tune. If you have no clue what you're doing you'll blow the head gasket long before you get to 20psi, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that. The 4G63 can take a ton of abuse in stock form, people have gone well beyond 500whp on a stock bottom-end running over 30 pounds of boost.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:43 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
i plan on being able to run 20lbs or more so i know im going to need studs and a comtec-head gasket but is there anything els motor wise i would need ..
You can run a lot more boost than that on a stock head gasket and stock studs, as long as you have a safe enough tune. If you have no clue what you're doing you'll blow the head gasket long before you get to 20psi, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that. The 4G63 can take a ton of abuse in stock form, people have gone well beyond 500whp on a stock bottom-end running over 30 pounds of boost.

Well from what i hear... its got a big 16g turbo but the inter cooler pipeing is very cheap and small im trying to find a kit but im haveing no luck..Anyone know were i can find a full kit for a 89 colt thats for the most part bolt on and hide behind the bumper?

Also what bumpers are you guys running with front mounts on the Colts?This one has a lazer front bumper and half of its missing and the inter cooler is showing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:06 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Well from what i hear... its got a big 16g turbo but the inter cooler pipeing is very cheap and small im trying to find a kit but im haveing no luck..Anyone know were i can find a full kit for a 89 colt thats for the most part bolt on and hide behind the bumper?
You'll never make enough power to lift the head using a Big 16g, unless you take the wastegate off and let it spike to 40psi or something. No need to waste your time/money pulling the head off to change the gasket and put in different studs.

Nobody makes a piping kit for these cars. Everything will have to be custom.
Quote:
Also what bumpers are you guys running with front mounts on the Colts?This one has a lazer front bumper and half of its missing and the inter cooler is showing.
A lot of guys run 1g DSM front bumpers. The JDM/Euro/NZ/Aussie front bumper is the best one as far as looks are concerned, but they're almost impossible to find, even in a replica. You can fit an FMIC behind a stock front bumper, but you have to do a lot of hacking and you're pretty limited to the size of intercooler that you can run.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:37 pm 
CSM Expert

He bought my old car from another kid, the car has ARP studs in it now. Head is worn out, so is the block.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:11 pm 

Well i have a motor full motor its got 63k miles on it out of a 1990 talon and whats left of the parts car.

The motor in there now seams ok its not useing any oil or knocking or blow by i put mobile 1 10w30 and 1 quart of Lucas and its fine .No smoking or anything.I think im going to run this till it lets go or starts burning oil.
'

I thought i heard a knock at 2000-2500 but it was due to a timing issue .

the car is getting a front mount installed and a whole new cold side this weekend they just came and picked it up today along with tinted windows and a ACT clutch kit 2600 with the street disc and new flywheel.Im looking for injectors/boost controller (its got a home made one on there now ).

It sucks i wont be home till the 24th to drive it but i hope by then i can drop it off at the body shop to start the body work.

What size drag radials fit on thease 14 " wheels anyone know the size by chance?

The car wont be daily driver at all maybe 2-3 times a month (im a owner operator truck driver for FedEx so im never home LOL!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:22 pm 
CSM Expert

I got a set up slicks for it at my house, hit me up.

The motor does use oil i know for a fact. Good luck it's a fun toy. I cant wait till the AWD summit is done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 pm 

Quote:
I got a set up slicks for it at my house, hit me up.

The motor does use oil i know for a fact. Good luck it's a fun toy. I cant wait till the AWD summit is done.

sent u a pm .. hope i can hear from ya tonight .