4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

yup, thats right, obviousely hyundai is still pulling from the mitsu parts bin. i used to own a modded 2001 tiburon for over 6 years, and just noticed my old stock shift assembly laying around the garage. well it hit me that it looked exactly the same as the one in the colt. so i figured id mess around, and see what happens.

well, i did install it. it fit like an OEM piece. no modding, doesnt shift hard or anything. but the shift arm itself is a bit taller, and has a 45 degree kink in it from the tiburon. figured id take pic's and share this wierd bit of info.

(stock is on the right, tiburon one is on the left)

and this is it installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

cool, i wonder if anyone makes a tiberon aftermarket shifter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:09 pm 

the reason i had the stocker was because i had upgraded to a B and M short throw set up. which sadly, i sold after i got hit and parted out the car. but this means we do in fact have a real deal short throw option!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:41 am 
CSM Junkie

any idea if the shifter assy. is close to the 3g's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:19 am 

just to look at it in the pictures, it seems like it'd fit the 3g cars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:05 am 

well, i ordered a 1st gen dsm short throw off eGay. figured that would be the most likely (and cheapest) option.

since i dont drive my colt at all, its hard for me to feel comfortable right now dumping alot of cash into it. so i tend to go the cheapest route. i did however chop a good inch of the stock shifter so it sat a bit lower. but thats just visual's, still a long throw pile till i get my dsm one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:57 pm 

I bought a Fidanza short shifter for a 1G eclipse but it did not fit. Apparently the setup for a 1g eclipse is different than for a mirage. I ended up chopping the stocker a few inches and called it a day. The throw is still the same, it's just shorter.

Maybe a short shifter made for a 2001 tiburon may fit the mirage?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm 

yup, you should have messaged me. i also allready tried the 1st gen DSM shifter. didnt work! :(

but i havent given up on it yet, im gonna get a 1st gen shifter base from the junk yard, and install the base, then use the short throw. :)

and yes, since i have fully installed the tibby shifter, and there was zero issues with it, a 97-01 tiburon short throw will fit without any modding needing to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
yup, you should have messaged me. i also allready tried the 1st gen DSM shifter. didnt work! :(

but i havent given up on it yet, im gonna get a 1st gen shifter base from the junk yard, and install the base, then use the short throw. :)

and yes, since i have fully installed the tibby shifter, and there was zero issues with it, a 97-01 tiburon short throw will fit without any modding needing to be done.
on a 2g or 3g

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 pm 
Some call me a god

Get a shifter base from a 4 gen (93+) CSM . It bolts into the 2 gen CSM. The shifter on a 4g CSM is much longer than the 2 gen shifter but the throw is much shorter. This is what I did and it resulted a huge improvement in shifting but the shifter is longer :-?, not unlike the scoupe unit shown. So just cut it down and rethread or ....

You can get a 1gb dsm shifter on to it (even shorter throw). However - NOT the entire shifter as pictured above, you have to separate that assembly and only use the shifter arm, just undo that big but and bolt. Then simply grinding down the 1gb DSM shifter arm to fit that middle/center 4 gen assembly.

You'll also have to trim some of the plastic on the boot cover. This is because the shorter throw means that the levers below the fulcrum, are longer, and the fulcrum sits higher and hits the plastic base of the shifter boot.

I hope that makes some sense. Think of the shifter as 3 pieces - base, shifter and that middle section, sorry I don't know what its called. I can take some pictures and add more details if you anyone wishes.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:52 pm 

Yes, please do take some pics! That would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 am 

i think i might grab a few shifter assemblies during my next junk yard outing. i didnt think about a newer CSM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Conside that 4G CSM's can interchange the shifter mechanism (pivot assenbly and probably shifter cables (if only staying 4g15 trans setup)with a 3G CSM, and you will get a much better shift. So, if the Tiburon assembly fits onto a 4G base, it wil fit a 3G base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:43 am 

so far, the only thing i know the tibby shorter assembly fitting for sure, is my 2nd gen csm (g32b-T)

but as soon as i get my next check, ill be hitting up the junkyard for more parts. last check i picked up a 4g37 disty, and t-stat housing. along with a hyundai excel rear bumper since there's not one place in this ENTIRE country that sells replacement rear bumpers for our car's. so i hacked a excel bumper on my colt! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 am 
Some call me a god

Here is the picture. It is a 4g CSM shifter with the arm from a 1gb DSM. The arm had to be ground down as it barely fit the CSM base. Look at the big nut on the arm, I used some thread lock on it as I could not get a lock washer on there.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP