4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:52 pm 

86 hatch G32B turbo,

Can not get the 5th. All other gears are strong. New clutch.

1 dealer says 260 for the actuator and the other says 132 discontinued? 4 Junk yards and nothing. Grrr... I am not fully convinced that its not the solenoid?

anyone have trouble isolation info?

anyone "Got Parts"?

Fred Flintstone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:23 am 
The Silent Administrator

Is that your real name?

The vacuum actuator is the part that engages fifth gear on your style of transaxle. Without a functioning part/system, you will never get to use fifth and putting the shifter to the fifth position will get you fourth I believe. Other members have had this happen. I don't have parts, but have you checked places like rockauto.com? They may have it too.

Post subject: Diagnostic Procedures
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 am 

The KM162, KM163 and KM182 transmissions use a vacuum actuator to shift the input shaft gear set. When the driver shifts into 1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th or reverse the vacuum is drawn at the front of the select actuator. When the driver shifts into 5th the vacuum changes to the rear. The transaxle is still in 4th, but is overdriven by the input gear set.

The components used to control the actuator are external of the transaxle. They are the select switch, backup light switch, select control solenoid and select control unit (SCU).

If you have problems, such as no movement, no 5th, 4-5-4 shuttle shifts, or lack of power from stops, be sure to check the external controls!

First, check the input gear by removing the two bolts that attach the select actuator and giving it a good firm tug. This will manually shift the transaxle into high range. Drive the car. You should have four high range gears (the highest is actually high range 5th). If these gears are OK remove the actuator entirely and shove the selector into the low range. Drive the car again, if you have four properly working normal range gears the transaxle is fine, your problem is external!

The select solenoid is controlled by the SCU, it moves the vacuum from the front to rear hose. Be sure the hoses are not reversed, causing 4th gear to drive like 5th & vice versa. A bad select solenoid can cause no movement.

The select switch sends a +12 volt signal to the SCU when the driver shifts into 5th or reverse. Be sure the mark on the switch is aligned to the mark on the case! A bad or misaligned select switch can cause a shuttle shift or a no 5th condition.

The backup light switch sends a +12 volt signal to the SCU when the driver shifts into reverse. If the backup light switch is bad or if the steel ball that goes into the case before you install the switch is missing, you may have no 5th or overdrive in reverse.

The SCU will energize the select solenoid only when the select switch is closed and the backup light switch is open. Some SCUs get additional signals from the alternator and/or speed sensor. If you suspect a SCU problem first check all external leads, then follow recommended factory test procedures.

http://www.txchange.com/km162.htm

Post subject: Transmission
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:45 am 

4 wrecking yards 2 dealerships and a high performance DSM shop later I have figure out that the only place to get this is from a donor.

Part Number: MD714392 Actuator Vacuum.

any donors out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:44 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

i think all of us with these older gen's have a list of "WANT" parts...

if anyone had a donor, they could make alot of cash from us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:13 am 
Some call me a god

So what cars came with the KM162/3, KM182? There are three tranny choices there for you to start your search at the junk yards. So there must be at least 3 cars to be on the look out for.

Keep an open mind to using other parts from different cars - mine use stuff from DSM to Hyundias to Conquests. Another may be a KM206 from an 87-88. Can you post a picture of the part?

Wasnt the km182 off a 89 colt vista/expo 4wd wagon?

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=24527

ask him ^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:31 pm 

OK after much frustration this week and the lack of information on this topic I descided to just dive into it feet first.

I removed the 2 hard to reach 14mm bolts, removed the actuator.

Testing it by blowing in each vac fitting revealed that the diaphram was good. So all along the actuator was good. "THIS COULD BE DONE IN PLACE".

A closer inspection of the actuator showed that there is a holes on the end of the actuator rod. These hole align with the overdrive final drive slide assembly. This "LINKAGE" is held together with a small pin the size of a thubm tack. After fabricating a pin I inspected the weather boot on the actuator and found the pin.

Pulled the final drive all the way out of the tranny then pulled the actuator arm out aligned the holes replaced the pin and installed the bolts.

In testing the solinoid for the overdrive I applied 12+/- to the plug and it worked. This led me to think that all along it was just the pin was the problem.

Last edited by 86g32bT on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:45 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I made this a sticky at the top of the section.

Post subject: drivetrain doctors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:11 pm 

American Motors, Mitsubishi Manual Transmission Parts Illustrations

http://www.drivetrain.com/transillamcmitsubishi.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:35 pm 

Trial and error!

Get this one. Cruising along enjoying overdrive and something with an H on it was messing around so I down shifted and rolled up on it :axe: as I passed into 3rd the tranny completely nuetralized. I thought for sure I broke a fork or threw out the clutch :o .

As I removed the air box to access all the tranny bolts ontop I noticed a main vac line had been off! One thing lead to another so I rechecked the ovedrive pin on the vacuum actuator, low and behold the pin had come out again aswell.

If you put these 2 things together the tranny will nutralize because the high range set of gears were engaged all along and with the pin out and a loss of vacuum the gears set will force its way between low range and high range. Where neither set mesh together.

For those of you looking at a failed transmission because it will not go into any gear you might want to check into this one before taking drastic measures

:wink: Fred Flinstone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 pm 

if you want I have a 5spd trans out of my 87 it has 118k on it and shifts like butter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Anyone still around who understand these issues?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Post up your problem, and we will see what we can help with. Aren't as many guys with these cars, but most of it is still the same as most.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Restricted Newbie

No fifth condition. Actuator engages when blow or suck on either vacuum line. I was interested t
In the location of the pin mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I am not finding one or where one should be.