4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm 
Restricted Newbie

This website has been a great help since I bought my Mirage for a dollar lol. Im new to piston engines having only dealt with carb'ed rotary engines before, so i'm in way over my head. I think the only thing keeping the car from running is a bad fuel pump. I pulled the gas tank off, its full of rust but I think its fixeable. The pump is shot to hell though. I dont know the stock fuel pressure so I dont want to connect another of the FI fuel pumps we have and tear something up. If anyone knows what the stock fuel pressure is, or if the car has a built-in fuel pressure regulator, I'd be very thankful. I look forward to talking with you guys as I struggle to get this damn thing running lol. Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:31 pm 

Hey!

Welcome aboard man!

I don't know about the fuel pump power, but I was going to install an inline 255lph pump to replace the existing one, I know that was more than the existing one but figured any left over fuel just returns back to the tank.

There's a fuel pressure regulator on the throttle body, looks like a flying saucer shape, to the right of where the air intake pipe goes into the throttle body.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:46 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The biggest problem is that if you install a fuel pump that is substantially larger in output at idle as compared to the stock fuel pump, you can either expect the car to run rich right away, or in time (possibly a short time) the car will run rich due to FPR overrun. Base fuel pressure is almost half for TBI type cars as compared to port fuel injection IIRC, so it would be good to find an AFPR (aftermarket fuel pressure regulator) that can put the base fuel pressure in the right range, and still be a rising rate, 1:1 for boost signal, or just get a stock replacement and not have to worry about any of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:57 pm 
Some call me a god

yes there should be a FPR on the mixer that sits on top of the TB, just follow the return line. the FPR has a vacume hose on it as well going back to the TB.

On my 88 the FPR is supposed to hold 36 psi. There is a procedure to testing the fuel pump. Connect a jumper wire accross the fuel pump check connector in the engine bay. Turn ignition on and listen for the pump.

Good luck.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:30 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for your help. Ill keep you posted!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:35 pm 

Hey, while searching, I found this old thread: Where are the "fuel pump check connectors" in the engine bay? If it is possible to test, I should at least try...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:20 am 
Some call me a god

On an 88 G32B CSM, its on the loom that goes to coil, in the engine bay. The connector is called A-25, or fuel pump check connector . The manual says it's 1.25-R or 1.25-BW. A single red wire with a single connector.

Sorry my digi cam batteries are toast, maybe tomorrow.