4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:30 pm 

just asking i know the 4g63 is better but i wana see if its possible at all but hey it never hurts to try right? and i herd those motors make huge power

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:25 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
just asking i know the 4g63 is better but i wana see if its possible at all but hey it never hurts to try right? and i herd those motors make huge power
What?!! No man, definitely not. That motor is a pile of shit. There is absolutely nothing good about it, and it cannot come close to a 4G63 in terms of power potential--not to mention the fact that it's meant for RWD applications and it would NEVER fit in a CSM or a DSM.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:56 pm 
CSM Junkie

g54b was modified by dodge for use in FWD applications. Not ideal, but it works.

g54b is also 8 valve sohc. 4g63t is 16 valve dohc. more valves, better breathing, more power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:29 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
g54b was modified by dodge for use in FWD applications. Not ideal, but it works.
Ohh yeah, they put them in various K cars huh?

Anyway, aside from the obvious fact that the G54B is SOHC 8v, it's also HUGE, has lots of crankshaft issues from the factory due to its size, it has jet valves (lol), and the heads are notorious for cracking. Oh, let's not forget the TBI. That shit sucks.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:02 am 

raise a thread from the dead, why hell yes. Lots of bad info on the g54b. it is a fantastic engine. and has been in quite a few fwd applications. Besides,t ehre doesnt seem to be much life in this section anyhow. I just dont like bad info on the g54b powerplant, or the g52b for that matter.

Lets not forgot, it was the first 4 cylinder to ever hit 7 seconds in teh quarter mile. What a horrible engine eh? Sakura racing nailed it in a mirage bodied drag car a long time ago. While there are faster cars now, it was the first, and it was done with a g54b and a stock crank.
It took a long time for a 63 to get there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NITdmvbj6U

I've owned a plethora of starions and bang for your buck ni a rwd app you cant swap a 63 for near the price of a g54bturbo. They are reliable when you know what you are doing, and respond well to mods. They will rev with valve springs and a decent turbo even on a crappy stock cam. I use to hit 8k rpms quite a lot drifting in my old starion with just a 18g. There are a few guys pushing over 300whp on tbi. One is 357whp and 387wheel torque. Thats on freaken TBI! They will spool a turbo at least a grand earlier than a 63 also.

With that being in turbo form it wouldnt make a very good fwd powerplant as torque comes on extremely hard, fast, and at very low rpms. I believe max torque is reached at 2300-2500rpm. thats 234ftlbs on a stock 88 starion

a na engine wouldnt be bad. The g54b is so choked up fromt he factory and down on comrpession they are quite slow. 2. exhaust, shave the head 40 thou and bump it up a point. get some side draughts or fi and you will have a nice powerplant.

I have a 74 dodge colt with a 2.6 turbo non intercooled bone stock and if you took a drive in it, you wouldnt be hating on the engine.

----------------------
1974 dodge colt "galant coupe gt: 2.6 turbo
1978 dodge colt "lancer coupe" 4g32 4 speed weber
1981 Dodge challenger "Galant Lambda: 2.6 turbo ic, 19cturbo 3inch slammed and loud
1990 mitsubishi Terror Van 4g64 dohc 11:1 conversion in progress
Founder of www.nwstarquest.com northwest starion conquest club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:58 am 
The Silent Administrator

That's some good info, thanks for posting it up. It's always good to see relevant stuff posted when it pertains to the more obscure side of Mitsu things. We don't always have access to the right info, so it's fun to see that alot of our users have their fingers into many different things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:50 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Lets not forgot, it was the first 4 cylinder to ever hit 7 seconds in teh quarter mile. What a horrible engine eh? Sakura racing nailed it in a mirage bodied drag car a long time ago. While there are faster cars now, it was the first, and it was done with a g54b and a stock crank.
It took a long time for a 63 to get there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NITdmvbj6U
I didn't know that about the G54B, so that's definitely cool. I'm willing to bet aside from the crank, there weren't a great deal of factory components in there.
Quote:
I've owned a plethora of starions and bang for your buck ni a rwd app you cant swap a 63 for near the price of a g54bturbo. They are reliable when you know what you are doing, and respond well to mods. They will rev with valve springs and a decent turbo even on a crappy stock cam. I use to hit 8k rpms quite a lot drifting in my old starion with just a 18g. There are a few guys pushing over 300whp on tbi. One is 357whp and 387wheel torque. Thats on freaken TBI! They will spool a turbo at least a grand earlier than a 63 also.
I don't like the idea of having to swap over my entire induction system just to make more than 300whp. You can make 300whp with very basic upgrades in a 4g63-powered vehicle, takes very little effort, and it can be done on an entirely stock engine. With lots of guys pushing over 1,000whp these days; let's face it, 300whp just isn't that jaw-dropping anymore.
Quote:
With that being in turbo form it wouldnt make a very good fwd powerplant as torque comes on extremely hard, fast, and at very low rpms. I believe max torque is reached at 2300-2500rpm. thats 234ftlbs on a stock 88 starion
Having a torque curve like that in a FWD application means one thing--wheelspin, and lots of it. Obviously wheelspin is unavoidable with any high-powered setup, but having the torque peak hit at that low of an RPM can't help things.
Quote:
I have a 74 dodge colt with a 2.6 turbo non intercooled bone stock and if you took a drive in it, you wouldnt be hating on the engine.
You're probably right, I wouldn't be hating on it, because anything that weighs <2,200lbs. is gonna feel peppy no matter what almost.

I can appreciate anyone that has an oddball passion. I think Starions are some of the coolest cars to ever come out of the 80's, and I'd secretly love to own one. I've driven a few of them, and thought they drove great on the G54B, but subsequently those cars I had driven had NOTHING but problems. Rod bearings going bad, heads cracking, lots of good stuff like that. No thanks, i'll stick to the 4g63.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am 

^ I'm with him...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:15 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Having a torque curve like that in a FWD application means one thing--wheelspin, and lots of it.
you forgot Torque steer also. lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:52 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
something about the crank

lest we forget the 4g63 is prone to crankwalk as well? jus sayin :-D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:57 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
lest we forget the 4g63 is prone to crankwalk as well? jus sayin :-D
Yeah, only the 7-bolt engines that they put in 2g DSM's from 95-99. All other 4G63's are solid as a rock.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm 

yeah its much easier to swap in a 63 fwd, rwd it isnt. since those idiots at mitsu designed it for a horizontal mount. Banging firewalls, ugly water line routing etc

You are right ont he torque in a fwd though. It wouldnt make for a very fast or fun car. I figure you would see a lot of wheel spin. It's great on a rwd platform though. 1st gear on my 74 colt was useless with 3.9\s and a stock non intercooled g54b.

Most of the issues with a g54b are neglect. Just like 63 break timing belts and crap their engines. Starions brake balance shaft guides which are way past the point of when they were suppose to be changed, this long chain that runs the balance shafts also runs the oil pump, so once a guide breaks you can kiss oil presure goodbye. Spinning bearings on a g54b is from people not running enough oil in the system imo. I drifted and dragged on a engine over a year with a 18g revving to 8k and never spun a bearing, this was on a old junkyard engine. Head cracking is very common. People using old radiators that were never that great in the first place, overheat and you crack. Simply get a better radiator and problem fixed.

as far as hp, yeah people are making stupid amounts of power, but it's about useless other than for drag racing. If you do anything else other than that like drive backroads, road courses etc.. you really dont need a whole lot of power. Not to say it cant be fun, but too much and it starts taking away from the enjoyment.