4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Tbelt tensioner seized
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Well, was driving my dad's colt, G32b powered. I had noticed a whining noise from the belt area, but only when cold, and would go away after a couple of minutes.

It was getting louder from day to day. I decided to take his car out last night, and sure enough, heard some pinging clanking and metal noises!!

I had just picked up a buddy and the girls. Car then dies. I tried to turn it over, and it just turned really quick, with a lot of funny noise from within the t-belt cover.

Anyway, it turns out the Tensioner had seized, heated itself up from friction i guess, and just felt apart. So i got a ride back to my place, picked up all my tools, jack andstands and what not, spare USED T belt, and tensioner from my pile of spare parts at home. Headed back down to the car. I ended up fixing it on the spot on the side of the street. People thought i was a nut. I had all the pulleys out and covers and belts out on the curb side!!! Put it all back , knowing the low compression motor had lots of valve/piston clearance. In three hours time i managed to drive back and forth to get my tools, grab a bite to eat, and re+re the tensioner, and get home to sleep.(11:30 till about almost 3:00am)
Cranked it over, it purred like a kitten!!! I love it!!! And the car has 225K kms on it!!

What other car can you do this with?? Maybe a honda or mazda 1.5 and thats about it.

So far, the car is pretty much original with the exception of ; clutch, clutch master, struts, rad, battery and now tbelt and tensioner.