4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: New to CSM world
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hello, I’m Julio out of Houston, Tx. I currently have a daily driven 1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD and for some reason I find myself attracted to 1992 colt lol pretty much how I ended up on this site as I’d like to own one and eventually 4g63 and awd swap it. Will be looking for shell and parts soon hopefully once I get some information on parts.

Post subject: Re: New to CSM world
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:19 am 

Welcome to the forum.. tons and tons of good info here. not a whole lot of posting anymore but if u ask something people still seem to swing by and answer them pretty fast...

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm 
Restricted Newbie

There is a 1992 colt being sold for $600 like 12 hours from which got me looking around the internet lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am 
The Silent Administrator

Consider a turbo model, that already has so many other things already installed that you would need to find and install to the base C52a setups. Yes, you will pay a bit more for it, but the experience of using all the turbo parts (quote a few a different), will put you at the best base setup you could possibly have before moving forward with power and brakes/suspension upgrades.

Welcome and enjoy the information here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:13 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Yeah I’d like one but they are even more rare than the basic model

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:11 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

swapping a base colt summit mirage is not as hard as people would think, at least once you have all the parts you need collected, but If I were you I'd start with brakes and suspension, pretty much get as much out of the stock frame as you can, in other words get all the supporting components and sub systems installed, long before you throw a 200+hp motor in a 90 something hp rated car, the best place to start would be to buy a CSM then get it running on the stock motor/trans then upgrade the anything you can before swapping in the 4G63T the stock brakes are wimpy non vented discs on the front and drums on the rear, if you plan to go awd in the future you can skip the rear disc brake swap, because running a dsm awd rear sub-frame will have rear discs already there for you.

Starting out with an "89 GT turbo colt/mirage would be the easiest way to get to your end goal of having a 4g63t swapped 3g csm, but in the end it depends on how much skill you have working on cars, if you feel comfortable working with dsms/project cars then getting a base 3g csm should not be too far out of your skill set, but the wiring can get tricky for some people thankfully we have Mirageman89 making patch harnesses that make the harness plug and play.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Alright thanks for the suggestions. I’ll just keep saving up for now and see if a turbo model pops up somewhat close to Houston, Tx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:18 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Ship it via truck/rig if you can't find one close and a good example makes itself known. Remember, a clean shell with all the upgraded turbo parts is the key, as the motor is a distant second. Whether you keep the stock 4g61 or go straight to a 4g63 setup, it will all bolt right in when using a turbo shell with all the original mounts, control arms, larger sway bar, etc etc. This is why it is important to sometimes start with this base, and work your way forward if parts are not as plentiful around you or fab skills aren't stellar (none of ours are, trust me) This is where most guys just up and stop, or they get half way into the 4wd swap. If you have a stock turbo car, with the axles and trans and all the parts I mentioned earlier, the searching can be relegated to items to get the motor and trans built, and then focus on the suspension and brakes. We have seen many projects come and go, and want people to keep restoring/ maintaining or building these little rides, but it all has to start somewhere. Tons of good low mile shells out there, depends on what you can live with and how many parts are available when you start things. Not everyday that certain parts required will be for sale (starting with 1500 in north america) is part of the reason. 150+ cars are accounted for now, with some 20+ on record as crushed and are now part of newer Hyundai's in Seoul South Korea.