4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:17 pm 

So, my name is Travis. I live in BC. Currently I am confounded by a disease for which there I no known cure.

Collecting DSM's!

I have too many, or so I am told. A partial listing..... 1991, 1994, 1995 Talon..... 1992 Laser...... 1998 Eclipse spyder.

There are other cars in the collection but these ones are my current projects/daily drivers.

I've been working on these things for some time now. Always fun!

At some point I'll have a GVR4, and tonight I'm going to look at a 92 Colt Vista. It is a 1.5l auto AWD. I am planning on doing a 4g63 swap into it, as well as converting it to 5 speed but before I begin I am going to make sure I have all the necessary mounts, components, etc...

Any "off the top of your head" thoughts on this? Sometimes I think it is better to just wait until a 5 speed comes up for sale but considering the rareness I might be waiting for a long time.

Off hand, does anyone know if I can convert a FWD 5 speed to AWD without having to alter the floor pan?

I hate pulling a car apart just to find that I am missing a "hard to find" part.

Anyhow... I am going to peruse the forum and ask some questions but i'll be sporadic for a bit I'm sure as I'll most likely "shelve" the project until a later date.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Later

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:16 pm 

Well I know far less than most everyone on this site but...
I would think that I would just mount a Eclipse shifter assembly in it so the cables work with your trany without altering the shift levers. You will have to source a clutch pedal but one again I would bet I could make a Eclipse one fit without too much fab work. The other way would be to find a AWD vista that is already MT and swap all the parts but I doubt you will find one. All the junk yards around here crush EVERYTHING that is 10 years or older.
By the way, welcome!
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:43 pm 

Actually the pedal setup on the wagon is quite different from a dsm. It's closer to the 3g csm as the brake booster is over on the P/S and there is a long bar that goes behind the dash and all the heat/ac boxes that works the brake pedal.

I'm also guessing you meant that its a 1.8L and not a 1.5. Since it's auto the rear end gearing will be wrong for a manual trans too, I think. I'm not 100% sure on that so maybe some of the other wagon guys will chime in on that one.

I know you said you're from BC but please add that to your location. Welcome! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:51 pm 
The Silent Administrator

AWD and FWD have different undercarriage support/pickup points for the rear subframe or lack thereof. Find the one you can live with, or you will have to do a conversion like the Spyder to get it into AWD mode.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 am 

Well, I guess it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Either way there will be complications. As it is, I ended up getting the one I went to look at tonight.

So it is an AWD auto 1993. It is white, pretty damn clean, manual windows... WTF?.... MANUAL!? oh the horror!

I don't even know the available options and packages of the Vista's yet but I'll get it sorted.

I am going to hang on to this for a bit as it is relatively far down the list of things to do. In the meantime I'll keep looking for a 5 speed AWD and maybe, just maybe, I'll get it and flip this one or trade it.

Thanks guys. I'll be back another day. Gotta go sleep some.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:45 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Look at my list
92 Colt GT 4G63t
92 Summit TSI AWD 4G63t
93 Summit AWD 4g64 N/A
90 Talon TSI AWD
90 Talon TSI AWD
90 Talon TSI AWD
90 Talon TSI FWD
90 Talon TSI FWD
90 Eclipse GSX
2 X 99 GSX
Just bought a 92 Talon drag car also
05 Evo
92 3000gt vr4
POS 89 Colt gt 4g15

Non Mitsu cars
31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 83 Civic LS/Vtec

I feel your pain

As for the AWD Vista go Auto and post 93 (ThomCasey might correct me once he see this). Get a 2g auto with rotten towers like most have and do the complete swap...trans, wiring harness, ecu, tcu, and engine....prepare for a possible gas tank that looks sealed but has holes.....and have loooots of fun. AUTO IS FOR THE WIN!

Come buy my 93 Summit AWD Wagon back to BC... It is for sale

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:05 am 

douchebag! Colts are for cool people travis! Screw off!! stick to ur gallants and dsm's!!!

HHAHahahhahAHHAHahhaha hahha

welcome to the club douche! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:43 pm 

Suck it Bisch! I'm taking over the Mitsubishi universe!