4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 89 Summit sedan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:36 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I've frequented this forum quite a bit and it has turned me onto csms. I recently purchased a completely stock 89 Summit I found posted in the spotted section of the classifieds. So thanks guys, I got a steal on a completely stock sedan. It was listed on craigslist for 3000 but I talked the guy down to 1500 cash! It has 97k miles, 4g61 with a 4 speed auto, and most likely the slowest car I've ever drove! The interior is flawless, the dash isn't even cracked. I've come to seek advice about modifying this car to be a better daily driver.

My research will probably start with how to get my eprom ecu to work in this car. Then I'll look at what I can do to the transmission to hold some power (springs, shift box?). Figure out a suspension setup that will drop the car a little bit, better brakes, and wider rims and tires. I'm still brainstorming and learning, I'll slowly figure it out and hope to have a clean daily when I'm finished.

Here's a couple pictures, defiantly need to clean up the engine bay before I tear into anything for basic maintenance.

Post subject: Re: 89 Summit sedan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:23 pm 

Welcome to the forum! Awesome car for $1500 and by it being a DOHC car from the factory you are ahead of the game in many ways. I'm sure the auto can be made to handle a little more power but I'd honestly just swap in a 90-92 Turbo DSM manual trans.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:54 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the advice! I need to visit the junkyard and pick up a manual shift bracket. I'll also try to get the center console. I imagine I'll need the clutch master cylinder as well, the only thing I'm really unsure of is what shifter cables to use. I have a lot of research ahead of me, and a ton of dsm parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:39 pm 

Look at my build on here, I did an auto to manual swap but mine was a 1.5 car. The shifter is not a direct bolt in deal. As far as what cables and stuff to use, ask 5 people and you might get 5 different answers.

Here's what I would do. Use a 3g csm shifter assembly and cables. Grab the shift levers off the 3g csm trans at the junkyard. One bolts on and the other does not. I usually cut them off with my cordless dremel but you might want to ask them first, especially if the trans is good because its useless afterwards. You need the bracket that holds the cables to the trans too. Swap the levers onto your new trans and it'll work like it should. I grind and weld them on and actually did a write-up on here explaining the process.

Other ways are to drill a hole in the dsm shift lever and use a bolt and locknut to mimic the location of the csm shift lever. You can also hammer the pin out and swap them that way but its a major PITA. You could also drill it out but its made out of the same metal as UFO's lol. The last one took me a solid hour of drilling while constantly spraying cutting oil on the bit. It was my first and last time doing it this way. Or you can heat up the lever and bend it to mimic the csm lever. This way also seems pretty easy but I've never tried it, will probably attempt it on my next project.

You will also need the clutch and brake pedal assembly from a 3g with a hydraulic clutch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:04 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I appreciate all the tips and advice, I'm in no rush swap the transmissions yet. But hopefully when I do I'll have a welder, seems that would be the easiest way to make sure the levers are in the exact position to work with the csm cables. I'm working on tearing down my fwd talon at the moment.

In the meantime I was going to search into raising the rev limit a bit. I imagine I have quite a bit of work ahead of me to do that. It would make driving it a lot better, 4k is where it currently shifts at.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:35 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Uh, the car should shift higher than that.

This is where a simple Palm logger might work on your setup because it is a 4g6X motor/harness/connector.

Would be nice to know the actual RPM in the ECU from the CAS, and if the ECU sees WOT/100% opening.

Tach could also be way off, but we don't hear much of that in the lower RPM ranges.

It should shift much higher than that, even in automatic trim.

4g15 combinations do, I'm sure of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:09 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Yeah I was thinking something was wrong, I have dsmlink and a 90 eprom. Im unsure of how it would swap into the car, but would probably help troubleshoot problems. I was also thinking it could be the tcu, was thinking of installing a shift box. I think that will eliminate the tcu but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 pm 
Restricted Newbie

The past few days I've torn apart my fwd talon, it will be the donor for my summit. Still haven't figured out why the car will only rev to 4k. I adjusted the ignition timing, and checked the overall condition of wiring. I will next look at the tcu and see if it has any leaking caps. I also noticed there was quite a bit of water in the trunk! Luckily I found this before it rusted the trunk pan. I need to figure out how the water is getting trough.

I'll likely go to the junkyard today or tomorrow, there is a manual summit I saw a while back. Hopefully I can find the following parts:
Sedan spoiler
Shifter assembly & interior pieces
Shifter cables & trans. bracket(s)
Clutch & Brake pedal assemblies
Passenger headlight
Manual transmission mount

I've also got a few picture of my little shop, and the future motor for the summit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:36 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I pulled the ecu out of the car a few days ago and noticed a chip was burnt. I couldn't find much information on the different components that are on the board, so I'm unsure of how exactly it effects the car. Right now the car doesn't want to rev past 4000rpms.

I have a good 90 eprom ecu with ecmlink v3 on it, but am unsure of what settings I would have to run for it to work with the 1.6 NA. I know that I would have to run a dsm maf, and extra wire for the plug. Eventually I also plan to add knock sensor wiring and injector resistor wiring from one of my spare 90 harnesses.

I also located a manual car to get a few parts from, however I was wondering if the 1.5l clutch/brake pedal assembly would work with a 1.6l auto car. I have read that the 1.5 clutch is cable type while the 1.6 and 2.0 cars are all hydraulic.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:42 pm 

Some 1.5 cars used a hydraulic clutch too, just peep under the hood to see if it has the resevoir or not. From what I've noticed the 5 speed cars are hydro and the 4 speeds were cable. Not saying that's true 100% of the time, it's just what I've seen while dealing with these cars.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:47 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I'll have to take a closer look at the car, I didn't pop the hood on it yet I was in a rush and didn't have time to fight it. I forgot to also ask would the shifter cables be the same regardless of clutch type?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:21 am 

Yes, they are the same too. Some csm's came with adjustable cables but any of them will work with the swap.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:31 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I haven't done much to the car lately, just slowly collecting parts and tools. I've lucked out and have sourced a couple hard to come by items.
Turbo csm shifter and adjustable cables.

A manual clutch and brake pedal.

Some expo knuckles thanks to Mirageman, now I can put my 2g dsm brakes on the summit.

Had to upgrade the brake master cylinder to a 3000gt one. I also purchased a clutch master as well.

VR4 rotors for the front, and replacement rotors and pads for the back. 8)

I have a ton of other parts I'm planning to throw into this car as well. A fresh stock block and a built head are waiting for when I gather all my parts. Right now I have injectors, filter, AFPR, along with a ton of 6an hose to get from the tank to rail and back.

Eprom ecu with v3, a rebuilt throttle body with new tps and isc sensors. AEM UGEO, oil pressure, and boost gauges. A braided clutch line, and a throttle body elbow I can use a gm iat with. I just need to get the sensors and pigtails to make the switch to speed density.

I also may have to replace this fp recirculated intake to non recirc. Switching to speed density also means I can run a larger filter. I'm hoping the jmf battery mount will work without too much hassle. The calan catch can I'm debating on putting on this car, I'd rather get one custom made that will fit in better.

I have a bunch of other little odds and ends for this car as well. I also have a lot that I'm yet to purchase, these little things add up pretty quick. I can only find passenger side control arms for the elantras, I'd like to get a set so that I can run dsm axles.

I just purchased a "jdm" bumper the other day, it looks like will need some work appearance wise. Also will need to figure out some sort of mounting solution when it shows up, as it doesn't come with brackets. Now if only I could find a rear bumper and side skirts to match, seems they're just as hard to come by. I'll have to post a picture of the bumper when it shows up.

I can't wait to tear into this little car, it's really testing my patience but I want to get all the parts together first. I cleaned the leaky valve cover, makes the car look a lot better.

I also plan to remove the ugly stickers at the bottom of the car, along with the pinstripes. The cargo holder on the trunk is pretty hideous. I would like to get a hold of a spoiler and a different trunk.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 pm 
2nd Banana

Dang, nice job cleaning it up! I love me a nice sedan.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have a spoiler that would look great on the car. I just sold a set of skirts about a month back for a sedan that were BNIB too. As far as I know there are only two cars in the states that have the factory skirts for a sedan, other than a third sedan that has the super rare ones that have door cladding too. Is your current auto trans in good shape?