4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:58 pm 

I can get some later. It looks like mostly the weld on that sleeve is where it broke and ended up tearing some.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:29 am 
Restricted Newbie

The placement of the differential mounting holes in the underside of the tube, removing a substantial amount of material from the piece of the design that's intended to supply the strength is suspect. Also once located there, a single pass weld is most definitely insufficient. Even with excellent material, conditions, and skill I believe that failures like that will be common. At the very least the main tube needed to moved several mm lower so the penetration for the sleeves that his passed directly through the center of the cross member and a multiple pass weld with attention paid to temperature during the welding process and probably a post treatment like normalization wouldn't be out of the question.

Fixing a pre installed unit prior to failure will be difficult to do discreetly, with the material used. A better design would have a plate welded at the center of 2 oval shaped tube crossbmembers ( not circle)with a short but long gusset running nearly the entire length of the bar perpendicular to the long side of the oval in order to prevent folding it in half. There are other small changes I would but not wanting to type them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 am 

What's the status on replacements?

Personally, I would like a refund and am a bit concerned about buying another without seeing some serious testing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:24 pm 

im still waiting to hear on it also.. I havent seen him post since the school shooting in florida. which was near him I think. I will see if I can get in contact with him..

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 pm 

Sorry guys, I forgot to update. I received a replacement bar about a week and a half ago at no cost to me. Did have a little communication issue, but did finally get my bar. Hopefully this one holds up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:30 pm 

Any pics? Curious to know how it's been revised.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm 

from what the guy said... the person who built them said a few had small gaps where the welded pieces are..and he filled the gap.. so they think those few have been located.. this broken one and a bent one thus far... the main guy said he hasnt had any issues with his and he is pushing about 425 hp.. so hopefully the rest would be ok.. but im gonna add a brace under mine just for added strength ..

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm 

I will try and get pics sometime in the next week or so. It came already powder coated so it's not bare metal.