4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: brake upgrades
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 pm 

as title says.. has anyone done... or know if there are any upgrades for the awd 4w disc booster/master?
im deleting the abs when i pull the motor and figured i would upgrade the master/booster while in there (if there is a upgrade)
need more braking for the 500 ish hp auto build. I do have a vacume pump.

Steve

Post subject: Re: brake upgrades
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:18 am 

3000GT VR-4 uses a 1-1/16" bore M/C I believe. Yours should have the 1" bore though so not sure if you'd actually see a difference. As for the booster, Evo maybe. Read somewhere the 3g Eclipse used a similar booster if not the same one. I'm sure if its not bolt in it could be made to work.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:38 am 

do u think the stock booster would be ok for my needs? I upgraded the front brakes to the dsm twin calipers. havent found any upgrades for rear brakes yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am 
CSM Junkie

i took abs off. brakes feel great without changing master. I have 4 wheel disc from factory.
the vr4 would give less brake power . you would want a 15/16 cylinder to increase brake power.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:11 pm 

yeah im deleting my abs also.. and its 4w disc also.. so thats good to know.. just trying to make sure it will hold for the hp/boost at the line.

what all did u do to delete yours?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

I just remove the pump by cutting lines. then added unions where the lines crossed to make the brakes work again. There are pics in my build thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm 

I only mention the VR-4 M/C because a lot of the 4g/5g Mirage guys swear by it when upgrading brakes. Maybe the prop valve is different or something, no idea. I know that most Mitsu's with the twin piston front calipers and rear disc use a 1" bore. I'd personally stick with that.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:56 pm 

yeah I upgraded the 94 mirage to the elantra booster and 1 1/8 or what ever the 3k one is..with ur rear kit.. and the brakes sucked on it.. they stopped ok but wouldnt hold at the line worth shit.. and in rev it wouldnt hold at all.. so with all the input i have been getting im thinking the booster and mc was overkill and made it worse lol..

Steve

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

miscellaneous brake tips 101:
smaller master would have more power. ie more leverage on pads. and better feel proportion wise. but downside is more travel at pedal. to some may be perceived as more spongy and less firm .
diameter of boost offers more or less power depending on if you go larger or smaller. thing is its more complex for turbo cars because the booster is twin design. if you switch to a single design for a more compact setup you certainly would be loosing brake power even if its larger in diameter. so do your research there.
wheel and tire weight has a profound effect on braking power. making weight smaller makes brakes bigger. but with a catch. zero effect for holding at the line. for holding at the line you want to stay with twin diaphragm design. bigger is better here. on my evo 1 I switched to a BMW booster. it was twin and larger diameter. i wasnt after more power but i wanted the lighter alloy. shaved like 3lbs which gave me a woody for that car where light weight is king. the other things i liked about the BMW setup is the master is half mounted inside the booster. so gave me more area in tight engine compartment. second the front and rear cylinders in the master are different size. so i was able to eliminate the need for a proportioning valve. since proportioning is done right at the master. cams play a huge role for holding at the line. big cams supply less vacuum. so booster is effectively made smaller. adding the electric pump vacuum pump is the best route to increase holding at the line. I suspect drilled and slotted rotors help pads bite better when rotor is stopped. no one is talking about this. I suspect the effect is huge. I know when I talked to wilwood on drilled rotors I asked if I would loose or gain braking power. They stated they believe drilled rotors would offers less bite as you are reducing rotor area under the pad. My experience was the opposite. a no other change for me led to brakes that were clearly more powerful. pads are known to wear faster. so clearly the edges of all the holes offer increased friction.
lastly increasing brake pad cf has the most effect on brake power (and holding at line) on a budget. had a friend with a full weight FWD talon. heavy wheel and tire. single piston calipers front with smallest 153mm rotors. he bought four stock size drilled rotors and EBC blue Race pads. The braking power on that car was unbelievable. you would have had to drive it to understand. the blue pads are some of the most expensive pads on the market. from that experience worth every penny.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:25 pm 

yeah from the info here and on FB i think ill stick with the stock booster/mc.. i upgraded to the 92 dsm twin pot calipers and the 256mm rotors (or what ever the upgraded ones are).. looking at rotors like these (without pads) https://www.amazon.com/COMPLETE-Drilled ... otive..had definatly lanned to use ebc pads tho.. heard lots of great things about them.. just hate the DUMB ass design of the drum E-brake crap lol..