4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:27 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I got my hands on, what I think is a rear disc setup, for the "84-"91 1st generation fwd colt vista wagons, I heard many rumors about how to swap over to rear discs, but I never found any information or specifics, so I'm making a how to here for other members.

I've been wanting to swap over to rear discs for a while now, the stock rear drums are good for a stock vista, but I needed new rear brakes for my wagon, and I figured why not upgrade them while I'm in there.
if your wagon looks something like the one pictured above [and is FWD] this thread is for you.
so heres how it all began, I went to a far away pick and pull, because a good friend tipped me off that there was a 6 bolt 4G63T at this yard...so I went out there and pulled it, but on my way out I spotted an odd 80s looking Mitsubishi [see link below to get an idea of what it looked like] I like seeing these retro Mitsubishi cars out here.
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/kidney- ... in-the-us/
note it did not have the v6, and it was not a sigma, it was a plan Jane 1987 Mitsubishi Galant [build date "86 on Galant], it had the rare 2.4 liter SOHC 12 valve 6 bolt G64B with 5 speed manual [same as 4G64 6 bolt] I was tempted to pull it, and maybe go 2.1 long rod de-stroker or full 2.4 :twisted: but I realized that I already yanked a 4G63T out already, and there likely wont be enough room in mirage for 3 engines :lol:
but at this point I discover that the rear brakes are disc i figure I could use them on a mirage but then I notice that they are not like the "89 dodge colt / mitsu mirage gt rear disc setup... the rotors and the hubs are of one casting... I think who cares I'll pull them anyway, maybe I can use them for something else [I was right :D ].
I pulled the,calipers and their mounting brackets, dust shields, rotors, e brake cables.
the rear calipers are almost exactly the same as 1g dsm ones so you might be able to use them on a vista.

Sigh I then got out of the pick n pull... ... ... it was a lot like the video in the link below :lol: thats me every-time I leave a pick n pull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnrl8cLgm7k

As you can imagine all of the above is what I intend to put on my "87 Fwd Colt Vista,
If there is a large enough demand for rear brackets let me know, and I'll see if 89mirageman can clone a few for other members on here, I think these will also work on the rare Mitsubishi Tredia/Cordia platforms as well.

Stock rear drums pictured above... there days are numbered.
Everything drum related removed.
Test mounting the caliper mounting brackets, all of the bolt holes line up perfectly :D.
More good news was the rotors/hubs had enough meat left to resurface them, so I had that done.
ImageImage
All mocked up [in case your wondering they are 14 inch eagle alloy rims]... Thats as far as I got then I reverted back to stock drums :cry:, but not for ever, I will swap these to disc, but I want everything cleaned up a little better, and I also need to get brake pads, but I just had to know if it was possible, well from a fitment standpoint anyway, I have to say its spot on almost as as if it was meant for the vista, I plan on painting the calipers and the brackets maybe even powder coat them.. when I get the chance.

I will update this post with other brake mods for my vista, mainly because thats what I intend to do... well over time, I might have to swap over to the lancer OZ racing rims in order to clear the front 3000gt calipers, which I'm also gonna put on the wagon along with expo knuckles, I might 4G63T swap the van in the future, and upgraded brakes are a must when you throw more power at any car not designed for it.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu May 03, 2018 10:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:22 am 

I know you guys thought I forgot about this post, but rest assured I started to get back at it and heres an update.
I got the rear caliper mounting brackets powder coated.
Imageimage ru
I also fitted the Vista with some OZ rally wheels, now I can fit the larger 2 piston 3kgt calipers on the car :D .
ImageImage
I powder coated some front 2 piston calipers, and some "92-"95 4 lug expo hubs for the eventual swap.
my plans are to use 1G DSM spindles and 4 lug expo hubs on my 1st gen vista, I could use expo hubs and spindles, but the tie rod ends on the early 1st gen vistas are oriented like the 1G DSM ones, with the tie rod studs facing up, as opposed to down [like on the 3g csms and the expo spindles] I'm not sure if the geometry is going to be out of whack from using the dsm spindles but we shall see soon enough.

Another option, that I will consider, is to remove the front captive rotor from the hub, and then see if I can fit a GVR4 4 lug front rotor over it, a lot like you guys do with the 3g csms, it might work, but the stock bearings are a little more annoying to work with then the dsm/expo ones.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu May 03, 2018 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:54 pm 

got some 1g dsm fwd spindles today.
I also got the rear caliper brackets coated still waiting on new caliper seals and slider boots so I'm mostly coating everything and preparing it all.
i'm going to see how the C-max autozone pads perform, unfortunately they do not offer the C-max yet for the rear 1g dsm calipers so I'll use duralast gold on the rear.
I also pulled my used set of gvr4 front rotors out of the garage and had them resurfaced.
I'm currently waiting on some other parts, seals, caliper dust boots, etc, I still have to coat the 1g dsm front spindles, more updates soon.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu May 03, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm 

Very nice! Also if I see anybody needing 1g dsm rear calipers for my rear disc conversion I'll send them your way. I've picked all of the 1g's around me and now they're getting harder to find.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 pm 

thanks Chris I appreciate it, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to powder coat the rear calipers... ...they have that needle bearing on the parking brake shaft and I can't find a way to get it out, I might just clean it really good and then seal all the holes and hope I don't ruin them when the part goes in the oven, they should be good to 380 degrees I hope?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 pm 

Well it looks like the needle bearing might still be available on the net, after some searching I came up with this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BA1012- ... 74419.html
the needle bearings on my calipers are still in perfect shape but I figure if anyone on here needs these I'm not 100% sure these are the right ones for the dsm calipers, because I don't have them in my hand yet, but based on my measurements with a caliper they look to be pretty close I'll order a batch if I end up damaging my old ones...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:30 pm 

I have some great news I managed to powder coat the rear calipers, and the old needle bearings survived the curring heat, it looks like I might not be ordering the above mentioned bearings after-all... ...Well we will see, I have another set of calipers or 2 to rebuild, if I end up buying them I'll let you all know how things go, anyway back on topic.
[Image above] I got the "87 Galant calipers coated, if you notice in picture above, I discovered that the "87 Galant rear caliper slider brackets are more like suitcase handles, the 1g dsm rear caliper sliders look a bit warped, but I like the looks of the Galant ones, so thats what I aim to use on the vista, but both have the same bolt spacing so they can interchange.
Imageimage url upload
[image above] These are 1g fwd dsm knuckles/spindles [top] vs expo spindles [bottom]notice how the tie rod arm is positioned differently.
I hope this works without side effects, but thats what I aim to figure out, also maybe worth mentioning, I have heard that the 1g awd dsm spindles are different then the fwd ones, so if this fails I might get a set of front ones from a 1g awd dsm.

I still have to press in the new bearings, and then put the expo 4 lugs on the dsm spindles, and then I have to clean and coat the rest of the rear caliper hardware, the l shaped brackets, the return spring, and it's swing arm etc more updates soon.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu May 10, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm 

Imageupload imgImage
Stock fwd vista brakes, this may be the last time we ever see these...
Yuck, just so you know I have not driven the vista in while, and as a result I have not had a chance to change the brake fluid I should have changed this earlier, regardless don't let your fluid get worse then this, I drained it all.
Coffee anyone :lol: just kidding, I would not offer this to my worst enemy [it's the old brake fluid].
Hello 2 piston front brakes :D
I also installed some stainless lines, I ordered a complete set for a 3000GT/Stealth N/T from 3SX, and so far the front ones fit like they were made for the vista 8) I think I'll have to use an adapter for the rear lines but I'll post that up when I do the rear disc swap.
I also took this opportunity to swap out the cap on my brake reservoir, a lot of guys don't know this, but you want to use the newer upgraded white cap, if you own an older Mitsubishi or Mitsu-Chrysler import chances are you may have the black cap which should be swapped over to the newer white one, for more info on this check out this link http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Mit ... grade.html
Imagehow to take a screen shot
I swapped over to the 1 inch bore master cylinder from a turbo 1g dsm, the stock vista one is 7/8 bore :-? ,I had to bend the stock vista hard lines a bit but I managed to get them to work, one of the lines hits the air cleaner box a little so you might have to do some really tight bends to get it to clear, or use some round steel spacers with longer bolts.
Heres some pictures of the front brakes with the wagon on the ground.
I drove the car a short distance, I think I need an alignment :lol:.

I still have to finish rebuilding the rear calipers so I decided to do the front brakes first and see how they perform. More updates soon:D .

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:24 pm 

Any idea what size the center caps are on those OZ wheels? A buddy on FB has 99 OZ edition eclipse wheels on his evo 4 clone and is missing a few. He ordered a set but they were too big.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:27 am 

I happen to be getting new tires for my mirage, so I have a set that I can take measurements from that are not that hard to get at, The center caps have 2 measurements the inside, where the tangs grab to hold the caps in place, and the outside lip/groove where they mount to look flush.

Measurements
holding tang inside groove 49MM-50MM
outside mount groove 54MM [Inches about 2.125"]
also they have mc-1 written on the back of the oem ones and I can see many for sale on ebay :D.
:o http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-Z-Racing-Whee ... jR&vxp=mtr WOW! $100 for like new wheel caps thats a bit pricey.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm 

I'll let him know. Thanks for going through the trouble to get that info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:43 pm 

I have a odd question... if this is for 84 to 90... and 92 and up are diff what on earth happened to the 91s? or are they just bastards that no one wants lol.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 pm 

Quote:
I have a odd question... if this is for "84 to "90... and "92 and up are diff what on earth happened to the 91s? or are they just bastards that no one wants lol.

Steve
:lol: the "91 can be ether the 1st gen vista or a 2nd gen vista, because that was the year they started to phase out the 1st gen vista's, I know because I have seen a "91 2nd gen vista/summit wagon/expo first hand, this really should be called 1g fwd vista brake upgrade.

And "91 1st gen vistas are hardly the bastard of the vista's... well come to think of it, all vistas are bastards :lol:, but of the vista's that are most hated are the "87 and back carb equipped ones, I'm glad mine was among the first vistas fitted with efi :D.

I know you all think i'm wasting forum space since i'm the only one left in the USA that owns one :lol: I'm just kidding, there is at least 1 other guy I know that owns one up in Washington, and this mod should also work on the Tredia and Cordias [because they share the same rear end as the vista save for suspension specs.]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:31 pm 

im sure theres more people just not on here.. I keep seeing 88s and 89s for sale in oregon on cl.. also did u ever figure out how much I owe u for the center arm rest. (im pretty sure its you that grabbed it for me a few weeks back.)..

keep up the good info

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:30 pm 

Washington,Oregon, and California, pretty much most of the west coast is vista land, these states seem to have a lot of them, the vista king lives [or lived have not heard from him in a long time] somewhere in Washington his name was Mike IIRC he owns a shop called mikes automotive service in Sequim WA, it's been a while since I contacted him but he owned like 4 or 5 1st gen vistas at one point, and had lots of spare parts for these wagons.

And yes Steve I have your digital clock, and arm rest, just been real busy working on my mirage,vista,and my new mighty max, I'll get them sent out to you real soon.