4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 714 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Cars have just blown up over the past ten years or so. I bet if you park your evo 2 beside a evo 10 it would be the same way.
actually have parked the evo 1 next to evo x. didnt have a camera with me, but yes. huge difference like above.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:23 am 
CSM Junkie

was happy how the car looked with the 16s and never really thrilled with how the 15s look. so it triggered a search for some 16s. funny i have been a hardcore TE37 fan for 15 years or so. but that last couple years my taste has shifted to CE28. bought these wheels on yahoo japan auction. they are REALLY hard to find in the states 4x114. was absolute nightmare negotiating this purchase as 99% of sellers wont even answer questions or entertain shipped overseas. so using a third party to ship is necessary. and that is a nitemare in itself as the cost of purchase ends up doubling. but all that head ache goes away the moment you open that box. holy heck these wheels are mouth watering. wont go on the car anytime soon. must be fast first. these are a matt finish. which I hadnt seen in person before. i thought the pictures where just taken on a cell phone and didnt realize what i was getting. this may be my new favorite rays finish. these are smokin cool in person.

Last edited by lancerman on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:53 pm 
Some call me a god

I had a set of those on my Evo, I miss it and those wheels!

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:16 am 
CSM Junkie

mounted the radiator today. original radiator and fans weights 25lbs. the half radiator, trans cooler and two fans weighs 14lbs. so nice 11lbs saved. I drained the coolant into bucket without spilling. filtered and reused because it was clean. also wanted to see if there is a water weigh difference. but I didnt have to add much fluid. the coolant volume was nearly the same.
I have to get some longer lines for the trans cooler so its temporarily mounted. but you can see this clears up a lot of space for turbo setup. even more if the condenser fan is mounted in front. but it needs to be smaller in diameter and very slim to do that. $$$. so I will see how this setup works out first.
installed dome PIAA night tech bulbs. this is 45 well spent. these really work. I was pleased on my evo 1 switching from sylvannia silver stars to these PIAA night techs. going from stock to PIAA is night and day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:49 am 
CSM Junkie

got block back from machine shop yesterday. first job was to test fit crank. math says this geometry engine should have about .020 deck height. wanted to check fitment of parts to verify. if it was much lower than that i would have considered using an eagle 94mm crank. as it turns out these parts give zero for deck height. so my quench zone will be gasket thickness. I can live with that.

I am going to try evo8 cams at first as this car needs to idle butter smooth at 650rpm. they have about 1mm more lift that dsm turbo cams. and they are hollow and about 2 lbs lighter. the head is from evo 3. been sitting on the shelf for about 8 years. was going to be spare for evo 1. turns out after thorough inspection the head is in really nice shape. guides are really tight. even guide seals seem good. still very pliable. started a mild street port. which includes blending seats into the bowls, and mild port on the exhaust divider. last will be a nice deshroud of the chambers. as the bores are now 1.5 mil larger than stock. head will be loaded with evo valvetrain. for those who dont know here are the weight comparisons. the evo beehive spring has about 52lbs seat pressure vs. 62lbs seat pressure for dsm spring. so at first one would think the evo 8 spring would float sooner. but the spring has to control motion of valve, spring, spring retainer, and the follower. all the evo 8 parts are lighter. less spring pressure also means less heat and friction. valves have better undercut/profled better so they flow better. exhaust valve is sodium filed so it runs cooler.
springs 55grams vs 40
retainer 12g vs 4
ext valve 54 vs 44
int valve 56 vs 54
roller 45 vs 41
so for the exhaust valves the 52lb evo spring has to control 129 grams. or 2.48 grams per pound.
for the dsm the 62lb spring has to control 166 grams or 2.67 grams mass for every pound of spring presser.

so really nice upgrade on the cheap..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

What brand fans and model # are they?

Curious ... as I am working in some fans right now and would like to know if you have used them in the past and to what effect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 am 
CSM Junkie

there are tremendous number of junk fans on ebay. I researched for weeks buying and reselling to get the knowledge i wanted. sure you can buy spal, maradyne, derale, hayden and other quality fans. they are not cheap. and the powerful ones are noisy. even the curved blade ones. the home run is ebay fan HC-7104. max dimensions are 14 x 15 x 3.25. true ball bearing fan that is strong and quiet. skipwhite ebay seller is the real deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I had a look through their advert on Ebay, and it was pretty impressive, as was the lifetime warranty and half price shipping on extra items when the first is paid at the highest rate (48 states Fedex).
The stock turbo and likely summit rad show a dimension of the core to be 14.75 inches or 375mm between the top and bottom tanks (just the fin and tube area), and the HC-7104 comes in at "14 x 15 x 3.25".
I read closer and they say that the "flat" side of the fan case is 14", the "rounded" side is 15", so it should fit right in there, assuming no issues with depth to components like turbos, or piping ....
Heck, I would drop a large dollar bill on the table to get a Galant VR4 alternator too or try the Saturn alternator option in whatever strongest winding option they offer.

2250 CFM, 200 watts.
Item Price: US $27.95
Shipping : US $22.04 (approx. C $28.05) International Priority Shipping to Canada
Import charges:US $7.64 (amount confirmed at checkout)

Now that's a deal!!!

What amperage do you figure they operate at for single unit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:53 am 
CSM Junkie

with my china amp gauge they are around 9 amps free spin. maybe 10-11 on the radiator.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

some more goodies arrived this past week. in its current state the summit drives warm on the highway in the middle of summer. so i have been thinking i need to copy as best as possible the cooling setup in my blue car. as that cooling system works very well. since the whole evo line has pretty good hood venting I figure this car should have it as well. scoured ebay for hours. couldnt come up with anything better than this spare evo 1 vents I have here. so i will use these. they should look pretty cool in the hood. also snagged a fluidampr and china made copy of the advance ZD multifunction gauge. about 800 from defi with three sensors. and about a third of that for the copy with six sensors. this think can display like ten different things. really sweet deal for the $$$.
Image[/URL
[URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/lancerm ... m.jpg.html]Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

took rims off my blue car to see how they would look and drive on the wagon. looks better than I thought. glad i did it as it makes it easier to settle on a tire size for the new rims. I am struggling with choice between 20/55/16 (correct for car) and under size 195/55/16. the tire in pictures is even shorter 205/50/16. man the car drives nice with this tire. I ran a 195/55 on the blue car but flat spotted them first week during an emergency stop. so ended up going to 205/50. I cant use 205/55 on the blue car so I could never swap rims around for fun.

so this tire decision is the hardest for me yet. I must have 30-40 hours researching tires for this new rim. (sucks to be me sometimes) look at every tire available on sites that list weights (not always accurate) then read all available feedback that I can find on the tire. i look for nice riding tires, that dont make lots of noise, and have good traction and steering response. interesting thing about this tire swap here. the taller tire is 15" te37 and kuhmo sense 195/65r15 830rpm tires. the smaller tire is 16" ce28 with hankook ventus concept 205/50r16 862rpm per mile tire. the taller setup weighs just 27.2lbs and the shorter setup weighs 29.6lbs. if i had to guess what setup would ride better i would have guessed the kuhmo with tallet sidewall. If i had to guess what would accelerate and brake better i would have guessed the shorter tire.(easier to turn cause its shorter) Funny I would have been wrong on both counts. the shorter hankook rides better. but the lighter 15" setup accelerates and brakes better. indicating rotational mass is less. there are formulas for rotational mass but you can through them out the window. as there is no way to calculate where the mass is in relation to the center. so it simply has to be measured. then there is a third component that no one talks about. rolling resistance. I have been wanting to try a LRR tire for a while now. but most feedback suggests the tire will not handle well. this car gets bad gas mileage so i was thinking of trying one of the better gas mileage tires out right now. looking at prius forums for data. i find the difference can easily be 44 to 50mpg . on my car that would equate to from 16 to 18mpg. most of the good gas mileage tires cost 100-200 more per set. if you drive 20,000 miles at a cost of $3 a gallon that tire that gets just 2 more mile per gallon actually saves $416 dollars! then I gotta wonder does a low rolling resistance tire accelerate easier? well it has to! so this is where I am headed.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

did some small jobs this past weekend. replaced the front wheel bearings. there was a broke stud on both sides and they cant be replaced without pulling the hubs. as it turned out both antilock rings were only held on by only one bolt. the other six holes had sheared bolts in them. planned to remove antilock brakes anyway. not crazy about it but trying to keep it in working condition for a car of this age is just not worth the headache. the front rings and shields weigh 6 lbs. not sure whats in the back. but removing pump and wiring/sensors is worth another 15lbs. so it 20+ savings. battery started getting weak so i went with a sams club lawn and garden battery. the stock battery weighed 40lbs. this nifty sealed battery weighs just 16lbs. so a nice 24 lbs shaved. i have been using the walmart lawn and garden batteries for some 12 years. they typically last about 2 years. not bad for florida heat and 25 bucks worth. the walmart batties are not sealed and only carry 90 day warrenty. the sams club is sealed and 6 months. wish i had known that before. I think this battery represents the best all around weight saving battery on the cheap.

Last edited by lancerman on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

bought some obnoxious lug nuts. cause why not. really just sick of scratching nice wheels taking lugs on and off. most nice alloy wheels dont have much room to get a socket onto the lug without getting tooo close to the wheel finish. most lugs are just a poor design for alloy wheels. searching ebay for hours looking whats out there. most lugs tighten with the hex being close to wheel. so scratch that design out. the best lug design i found are made of stainless steel or titanium. just didnt want to spend that much . got the ryanstar 92mm lugs for 36 a set of 20. the silver lugs were like 24 on ebay. the key here is the nice allow socket that can tighten alloy lugs with minimal malling. its much fatter than a steel socket. but with these lug choices no problem. the old lugs pictured where used with a steel socket.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:46 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Very Mad Max of you. Maybe a new title for the van? Mad Mini Max?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

got my new tires. ended up with general RT43 195/55/16. decided this would be the best compromise between what looks good and what works well. the 205/50/16 handled and drove really nice. looked great in pictures. in person was bit small looking. the 195/65/15 looked perfect but dint drive quite like i wanted. these RT43 drive sweet. the feedback on them sold me on giving them a try. best thing about them is steering response is fantastic. so much that i dont loath after a faster rack now.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 714 Next