4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 am 

I agree, these little vans are so fun to drive and you can haul a ton of stuff in the hatch. I've often wondered why they didn't send more of them over here. They should have sold really well but I guess they didn't since you hardly ever see one on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:37 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I agree, these little vans are so fun to drive and you can haul a ton of stuff in the hatch. I've often wondered why they didn't send more of them over here. They should have sold really well but I guess they didn't since you hardly ever see one on the road.
I don't see a lot of Mitsu products from the early-mid 90's on the road, in general...
Quote:
Quote:
The more I thumb around this car and drive it the more pleased I am. such a cool little van in such good overall shape.. and I had a revelation for the exhaust.. my goal is two full size quiet mufflers like I run on my evo 1. and I was originally miffed at how it snakes around the tank with no room to run pipes through center of tank. then today realized there are two spots before the tank for these big mufflers. so I will we running a side exit in front of rear wheel. pretty exited about this because it save a few extra pounds exhaust weight.
I hope you like the side-exit. Every side-exit car I've ever been in has been very droney and loud, but they also weren't using full-size mufflers.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I hope you like the side-exit. Every side-exit car I've ever been in has been very droney and loud, but they also weren't using full-size mufflers.
if it is annoying in anyway I can just add the piping all the way to the back. full size muffler in cat position does far more than full size at back. two full size under car should be great. little worried about scaring cars on my left side though. or scaring myself getting on it next to brick walls.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

tires for the 15in rims came in yesterday. immediately drove to walmart to get them mounted. they dont look as good or corner as well as the low profile 16s. but WOW does the car ride nice. the 16 inch tires are worn out, very noisy and didnt take bumps well. . pretty much hated driving the car. the kuhmo sense tires are super nice. very quiet, very smooth, and steer very well considering the sidewall height. this setup likely wont be final, bit will do for now.. will revisit 16s and 17s after the turbo setup is in and kickin and the suspension is rebuilt and setup the way I want it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:09 pm 
CSM Junkie

shaved 10lbs. today. 5lbs. with old momo steering wheel, and another 5lbs. removing two small dash speakers. still chipping away at the cleaning. need to take carpet out for pressure wash. need to pick up some dye to refresh all the plastics. but looking pretty good with just a good cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Good news, the tach goes to 8K. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:12 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Man I was just in Tampa for a week for the Outback bowl, would've been nice to come by to talk shop about the van. Only thing I can think of I need is stroker cam upgrade. Currently running 264/272, which is way to small for a 2.4 and 60-1 TD06H hybrid 26 psi. She starts getting choked off around 5500 rpms according to ecmlink.

Good luck with the build and hope to see you at the shootout.... I believe yours will make 5 or 6 boosted ones that I know of throughout the country.
I hope to have Ricelss90 built summit at shootout this year.
I am excited to see this build as it encourages me to work on the summit to tidy things up and to all around enjoy the car.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

spent about an hour cleaning up the engine bay today. clean enough to share a picture. also used the car today to cash in on about 600lbs of steel. got to see where the suspension needs to be. want to get it lowered about 1.5 inches in front and two in the back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:31 am 
CSM Junkie

detailed the door panels today. started here because the original door speakers were blown. when building a car I like to start with the largest annoyances and work my way to the smaller ones. the speakers are from an evo VIII and fit nicely by trimming the door panel. two of the original mount holes line up. the other two work by adding washers and clamping down on the lips. I wondered why the panels were fading on the lower section but not the tops. its because the tops are a nice quality vinyl and the bottom is plastic. i used SEM "bumper coater". the shade is a perfect match for the darker grey inside and the trim strips outside. dont use any other plastic sprays available. I tried most stuff on the market and this stuff is high quality. just smokes everything out there. purchase from automotive paint supply. they have like 40 premixed colors available and can mix any shade you want.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:58 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This the stuff?

Which color?

Charcoal or Medium Smoke?

http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-b ... per-coater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:07 am 
CSM Junkie

aw yeah, didnt remember there being that many colors for the bumper spray. 39193 dark grey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

added a readers digest rundown of build plans to post number one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

my mini projects for the weekend. bumper cutouts. cut some cardboard out to play with design. there will be coolers in the fenders so I need airflow there, plus extra cooling for the I/C. not final but will be close. The goal is to make it look cool while not looking hacked. as factory looking as possible.
also picked up another wheel. felt the smaller 14.25 momo wheel didnt add much in the way of steering response. so i started shopping for a full size wheel on ebay and found this 15in wheel. I like the look of this wheel much better. and it should have a safer feel with the knurled back. I think this wheel with a talon 2.75 rack will be the winning ticket. the stock rack is 3.10 turns and just feels lethargic to me. will give it a try anyway.

Last edited by lancerman on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

That is a cool steering wheel. What is it from? I like that it looks very oem and period correct for a car like yours

Keane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

Thanks, I believe it is a factory wheel from some production car. ad didnt say what it was from. My thoughts were exactly as yours. I think it fits the era of the car perfectly.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next