4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1214 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:14 pm 
CSM Junkie

frustrating update. have maybe 40 hours now in the wire harness conversion. cant get ecu to come alive. very angry at this point to say the least.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:32 pm 

Wiring is no fun and will test your limits. I know this first hand. I'm sure you'll get it sorted. Walk away for a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

got it started on a 97 ecu. idles butter smooth and quiet. no check engine light. lots to do before it can drive.
finish up harness.
fix small trans leak.
turbo fuel pump/rewire.
intercooler pipes and intake.
but wow. what a hurdle getting past this harness conversion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

Great work! And to take a mental break hop over to dsmtuners parts for sale section there is a plate lsd and an early evo 64 tooth crown wheel for sale. I wish to hell I could buy it but it's not in the cards right now. I know that stuff is right up your alley.

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

thank, I saw that listing. I actually just sold one of those plated diffs here locally. Clutch plates can require special fluid so they dont chatter. They also throw more metal into the oil than a torsen style diff. so I thought a torsen diff to be a much wiser choice for this transmission.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:06 pm 
CSM Junkie

should be able to test drive tomorrow. just have to finish up harness. was tired of working on wiring. so got everything else sorted pretty good. installed evo 9 fuel pump. made my intercooler piping. driver side will need to be modified so it travels through the frame like passenger side. made an intake pipe from non turbo inlet. temporary "so I can drive it" setup. no blow off valve. the EFR has that on the compressor cover. engine doesnt cold start well. and stumbles on tip in. otherwise engine sounds real nice. kinda nervous. not knowing if trans is in working condition.
Imagehost images
Imagehost images
Imageimage url
Imageimage url
Imageimage url
Imageimage url
Imageimage url

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

oh man this is so exciting. i love that point where you've been working on it for so long you get so anxious to just try it out. brings me back to the first motor swap (v8 in a 69 swb c/10 pickup) with my best friend back in high school. we had to call in an "expert" to set the distributer and plug in the lines to the carb but otherwise we did the whole entire swap ourselves without any previous knowldege or experience and we both didnt have dads who did car guy stuff. the moment that thing fired off was pure magic.

anyways i digress. this project is awesome ive been watching it like a hawk since you began and im real excited for you. i know its going to be great whether it drives tomorrow or not. im totally impressed with the focus and motivation you put in to your hobby.

Keane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

YAHOO! went for first drive today. there were/are a host of issues to sort through. but engine is solid and the trans shifts good. TCU hasnt been changed yet. contrary to some other postings that claim it will go to limp mode, it drives fine on the non turbo TCU. my biggest issue is there is a substantial front axle whine. sounds and acts just like a bad wheel bearing. goes away when you touch brakes or turn slightly right. get noisier on left turn. hoping its just a bad axle or support bearing. it is wiggling around more than it should on both sides. its like these after market axles dont fit snug on the splines. plus the left tri bearing is certainly loose. the front wheel bearings are new so thats not it. strange these axles were fine on the 2.4 trans. I really hope its not a problem with rear end from inside trans. that would suck.

happy thanksgiving everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:45 am 

Nothing like that first test drive when you think to yourself (I've had this damn thing in a thousand pieces :lol: )

Great job so far, can't wait until you get all the little bugs worked out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

amazing how many little things there were to sort through. multiple bolts left loose, overheat from leaky radiator hose. fix that then a little later overheats from sticking thermostat. starter stop working. adjust for squeaky alternator belt three times. etc. etc. I changed the axles out to some evo 1 spares I had with no play in them. that reduced the whine to half what it was. so pretty sure I will need to drop trans to correct. car is driving really nice other than the whine. love the new steering. dont know what mitsu was thinking with that 3.19 ratio. did my first mod today. temporary mod anyway. just wanted to get rid of cat. so I spent two hours building this crappy downpipe. but it works great. car is still deftly quiet. didnt make it any louder really. made it a lot more peppy. clearly needs more fuel. plugs were brown whem I checked them first. now they are white. next three things: wideband, fuel pump rewire, and tach.
Imagescreenshot program
Imagescreenshot program

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

congratulations on getting it swapped, running, and steering nicely :wink: . i hear you on sorting all the bugs out.
youll get it tip top in no time im sure. the downpipe is great nice work!

cool find that the stock tcu is compatible with the rvr trans.
thats a strange issue with the axles, so your saying the stock expo axles you had in there didnt fit well with the new rvr trans?
If one was to go with a 1g auto (with custom mounts) or 2g manual im guessing its the same usdm expo awd axles we'd be using right or do guys use dsm axles in these cars? and then your spare evo axles fit in there no problem huh

Keane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:28 am 
CSM Junkie

the axles car came with were not noisy when I got car. they are cheap after market axles that were new to car just shorty before I bought the car. before using the evo 1 axles I tried installing a 1g eclipse inner joint and the axle splines were different. I then tried the JDM RVR joint that came with the engine set. they are different than US axles in that they are not tripod style. they have full CV inner like the outer. the importers torch the axle. leaving you with good joint only. it took me nearly two hours struggle to get that torched axle popped out. turns out those cv's have different splines as well. so I was forced to use my spare evo axles. which I think are same geometry as 1g. but not sure. as far as my whine goes I am pretty certain the jdm lsd I installed is worm out internally. didnt think to check before install as I have used like four of them prior in different cars. my evo 1 currently uses one. sucks I dont have another one laying around. not sure what to do about that yet.

the downpipe was done for a few reasons. the flex was leaking. I planned to install the wideband in that bung as that was the old front position on the 2.4. the rear position is behind cat. the new front on the turbo 02 housing. leaking air near sensors throws the reading way off. I reinstalled a bung in that position as the last step. the turbo seems very laggy for its size. so I wanted to get rid of cat to see if that would help. the front section of the downpipe came with evo 3 engine set I bought over ten years ago. it was nice to finally put it to use. the downpipe is not permanent. the 6758 EFR setup will get a 3.0 stainless setup. but will be non 14b/16g downpipe configuration.

edit: sunday I made more forward progress. replaced ISC. cant believe how delicate they are. always seem to be replacing them on my cars. then I installed the RVR TCU and did a fuel pump rewire. holy heck if there was any doubt if this car would be fun that doubt is already gone. the TCU swap made a huge difference. far better programming. love the way it downshifts now. instant boosted power. so much fun if you stab at right speed. many years ago I drove an 84 colt hatch turbo with the 3 speed auto. car was nearly stock with just a boost bleed line to get boost up a few pounds. man i miss that car . even with its paltry 109hp it was loads of fun to drive. wish I had never sold that car. couple years ago there was a brand new trans on ebay for that car for 125 shipped. thought about buying it and trying to find another one of those cars. but they are sooo hard to find. especially in good condition.

NOTE the factory 94 AWD TCU has eprom chip. So if your gameplan was to have the tcu chipped you would not need to source a turbo tcu.

Last edited by lancerman on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

got my tachometer working. if you use only one adapter you could change the "1000" to "2000" and have a 16,000 rpm tach. lol.
happy I can finalise and seal up my harness now.
Imageadult photo sharing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

Imageupload pic
Imageupload pic
Imageupload pic
made my own adapter fitting for oil pressure sender. didnt want to have to remove bracket to tap housing. installed 60mm throttle body during water temp sensor install. this engine comes with the smaller 54mm unit. I like the gauge mounting. no wires showing and no holes drilled in dash.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

first drive with working boost gauge. now I know why it feels slow. looking forward to feeling 25psi on the EFR. I sent an ecu off to ecmlink for upgrade. project moving along swiftly now.

gauges look amazing at night.
Imagepost img
Imageimage upload free

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1214 Next