4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 pm 

Figured I'd post a small update on this beast that I picked up back in November on my birthday. Its just been chilling at my mom's house behind her garage until yesterday. I put a battery in it and it fired right up. Not sure what is up with the trans but I know these things all have major issues with the automatics. I limped it in the shop and started surgery.

I grabbed a manual trans from a 91 eclipse gs last weekend at the junkyard. I can't find any manual wagons for parts locally so I'll have to get creative on the mounts and the shifter/clutch pedal assembly. Shouldn't be too hard though with a welder and some time. I scored a 7 bolt na flywheel on trade a few months ago when someone was parting a 93 laser on the galant board so it will work nicely with this trans.

Here it is the day I bought it.

Had the trans dropped in a few hours.

I also grabbed a larger grill, headlights and headlight trim from a 95 AWD Summit wagon. I guess this upgrade would be kinda like the 93 Galant headlights that the GVR4 guys do. These are larger and look better in my opinion. Just need some cleaning and a matching coat of paint on the grill and trim.

Grabbed a few tach clusters too since mine didn't come with one.

The goal is to get this thing on the road and driving rather quickly. My past with long term projects isn't that good lately. Maybe with a new job and steady income I'll have more cash to play with so we'll see. Either way I will keep this updated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:34 pm 

post pics of the grill/headlight swap please.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:29 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:34 pm 

I love this front bumper.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 pm 

^^haha those window visors are serious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 pm 

Small update but ben4g63t1 found a manual wagon in one of the local junkyards and grabbed all of the necessary parts for me. Feels weird to get used parts from someone else :lol: .

Guess I'll pull the dash and stuff this afternoon so that it'll be ready for the install when the parts arrive.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 am 

Finally made time to wrench on the summit today and made quite a bit of progress.

I love Rockauto! Brand new clutch master and slave cylinders for $43 shipped.

They also had the Beck/Arnley clutch for the na 1g dsm's on clearance for $60 so I grabbed one of those too.

Got my 7 bolt na flywheel resurfaced at the local machine shop.

I'm so glad Ben was able to grab those manual swap parts for me. Fabbing something up would have been a huge pain for sure.

Here is the nasty 1g trans I grabbed for the swap. Its way too cold out to pressure wash it so I'll clean it up the best that I can for now.

93+ FWD 7 bolt crossmember on the top and 92 6 bolt FWD crossmember on the bottom.

92 wagon rear engine mount.

12mm 1.25 tap to clean out the never used threads in the back of the 7 bolt 4G64 block.

mount installed

Here you can see the 3 holes, the 2 on the right are for the 7 bolt crossmember which has the mounts on the trans. I'll have to get creative and find a way to weld a nut in the one on the left. As it sits now its just a hole.

In the rear you can see on the left where the 7 bolt crossmember went. The 6 bolt one mounts a little higher and over to the right about 8". Thank God the mounting holes are there for both and threaded.

Closer shot of the original rear holes for the 7 bolt crossmember.

Close up of the holes for the 6 bolt crossmember, again cleaning out the never used holes with the same 12mm tap.

I left the bolt for the rear mount and the flywheel bolts at home so I decided to start removing the interior parts for the pedal/shifter swap.

That's it for now. I may work on it a little more tomorrow after church but I'm pleased with the progress for only a few hours of wrenching.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:06 am 

glad i could help out, I'm very interested to see how this turns out. after pulling the parts from one of these, I wish i could find one for sale around here for next to nothing.

How different was the auto brake pedal vs the manual one?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:45 am 

Haven't had much time to work on the summit lately but I've made a little progress. The pedals are in, just have to button up a few things in the interior.

1g dsm transmission is in. The weather has been pretty nice lately so I was able to scrub it and hit it with a pressure washer.

I used both mounts from the 91 dsm. The one that bolts to the frame rail worked perfectly. For some reason I had to slot the one on the transmission maybe 3/16" so that the holes would line up.

Here is what I'm left with on the front for an engine mount. The plan is to use some angle where the transmission mounts to the engine and weld a flat plate to the front. This will give me something flat to mount a front engine mount to. Shouldn't be too hard to fab something up.

That's it for now but I'll keep chipping away at it. Hopefully it'll be up and running in the next week or two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 am 

It runs!!! :lol:

Still have some loose ends to button up like a shifter boot and find out why the turn signals are not working but I actually drove it home from my mom's house yesterday. Pulls good and rides really smooth. It also needs brake pads. I really want to toss on some larger front rotors and calipers but I'll probably just put some stock pads in and keep the 14's for now. Pics to come.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:02 pm 

Here are some pics of my custom front engine mount. It was a pain because I cut everything at home and then brought it to my mom's house to tack it together, then back home to weld it up with my 220v welder since it was 1/4" plate. Just a lot of running back and forth and what should have taken a few hours took days. But it fits and its sturdy and its done so thats all that matters.

I used two grade 8 5/16 x 4 bolts and locknuts to hold it on. After all of my hard work you can barely see it :lol:

I grabbed a cheap stock radio from the yard just to fill the hole for now.

Pic of the dirty bay. I'll be pressure washing it shortly and replacing the t-belt/tensioners/water pump.

Tossed on some $20 wal-mart hub caps and they actually look decent. I can't find a full set of oem ones. Not sure if I want to do the 5 lug swap and use my 16" 3000gt wheels or find some nice GVR4 wheels for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:14 pm 
Some call me a god

It runs!!! Congratulations, Chris! :^D I see a lot of hard work and problem-solving.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

Nice work Chris!

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:59 am 

good to see one of us is done. congrats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:29 am 

Thanks guys! Also I figured out the turn signals, seems I may have cracked the turn signal switch by mistake unless it was already like that. Out of 4 of these wagons in the yard I got lucky and one of them had the same setup as mine. Brought it home and swapped it out and it works fine. Now I just need to button it back up and take it for an inspection and get my plate.