4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 am 
CSM Junkie

I need to get a buddy to race against me in my own car so i can race awd wagon vs awd hatch haha. I have one of each. I just need the pizza signs.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm 

thanks guys! dan and i are pretty happy with things so far and i consider the car as much his as my own. definitely couldnt have done all of this without him.

and yes, that was an EVO X. not sure if he had a bad launch or left the line early (red light) but technically speaking i won! i'll post some updates once we get it on a dyno'd and fine tuned.

Last edited by micah on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:10 pm 

2 recent developments.

1. i had an erratic idle and low vacuum we had never been able to get to the bottom of. my water pump failed so i changed it and reset the timing and now it idles perfect. i had double checked it multiple times when we put the cams in but guess it was still off a tooth! needless to say the car runs a ton smoother and feels like it pulls much better at low RPMs.

2. developed a trans leak soon after the water pump was changed. finally got around to pulling the transfer case and it looks like the seal on the output shaft is bad. the trans has about 100k on it and was grinding third at high RPM shifting so i pulled it and will be sending it out to Shep for a rebuild.

hope to have some more updates in about a month.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm 

Quote:
hope to have some more updates in about a month.
Your month is up. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 am 
CSM Junkie

Seriously!

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm 

Got the trans back from Shep and was in the process of breaking it in when I blew an IC hose on the freeway. I limped it off the freeway with no boost and immediately discovered which hose had blown. Managed to get it back on and when I started the car I noticed it felt like it was off a tooth timing wise again (aka. sounded like it was missing/running on 2 cylinders). This time, however, it was grossly underpowered until I got high up in the RPM's and even then it didn't feel right.

After sitting for a while I finally got around to doing compression and leak down tests. It looked as though I had 0 compression in the middle 2 cylinders. Had a friend come over to check things as well and he said to pull the head. Pulled the head and found a blown head gasket across all 4 cylinders. Based on where it blew you'll understand why it wasn't burning any oil/coolant or over heating and why it wasn't totally evident this was the problem.

Since the cylinders didn't have much cross hatching left and this motor probably has 100K+ I figured it would be good to do the rings and bearings while the head was off. So I pulled the pistons.

Upon closer inspection of the pistons we found this....on all 4!

Motor was dropped off today at the machine shop so I'm waiting on them. Plan to put in upgraded rods and forged pistons and put her all back together. I would say "more updates in about a month" but don't want to hear you guys talk any more shit. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 am 

Round 9: Back in the Saddle

The progress has been slow over the past few months but a lot has changed so I figured it was time to post an update. The engine has been built and is back in the car and broken in. I went to the 1/8th mile drag races a few weeks ago and thought I broke something in the drive train but the culprit was probably my driving and an overheated clutch. Everything is back together (never took the clutch out to inspect it) and the car seems to be operating ok. Heading back tonight and will report back on the results. Hoping to get some in car video this time!

Here are some shots of the bearings that came out of the car. I wasn't pleased to find the cracked ring landings but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise given the shape these were in. Would have been horrible to put the motor back together only to later have a bearing failure!

*Balanced Shafts were removed/deleted. Regardless of condition this was the plan all along. Because Race Car!!

Forged JE Pistons

Filing Rings and Checking Clearances

Stock VS Aftermarket (Manley Rods)

Crank Install and Checking the Rotating Assembly Clearances (ARP hardware all around!)

Checking Headgasket Clearance (Cometic)
*Yes, that's a penis on my pistons. Big thanks to my friend Nick who helped with the assembly and drew that on there!!!

Crower Springs/Retainers & HKS 272 Cams

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:05 pm 

Awesome! You ever get that spoiler painted and mounted?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:21 pm 

Not yet. Going to rattle can it white and mount it soon hopefully. May try today if I can squeeze it in but not sure I'll have the time. Will post pics when I do for sure!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:39 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Man, what boost were you running on the original motor?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:29 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hi, which engine is this one?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:10 pm 

Quote:
18 psi on the 16G but that didn't last very long. The machine shop and friend helping me assemble the new motor (and who tuned it) are both super reputable. The stock motor should be able to handle that but not if it's been abused in it's prior life and already on it's last leg (which became painfully clear when it gave out). From looking at the pistons/sidewall and some of the pitting that developed on the head it's pretty clear the motor didn't have much hope. It was on it's way out even before I put it in the car. Always a roll of the dice when you buy used.
Quote:

Thanks
That is the original 4G64 that came in the van.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:51 pm 
Restricted Newbie

hi Micah, thanks for your response.

4G64 is a 2.4 right?

I bought one Colt Vista 91 2.0 AWD but I can't find what engine it's, someone saids 4G63, other one saids G63, now it looks like 4G64....

There is any easy way to find it out?

Thanks,

Quote:
Quote:
18 psi on the 16G but that didn't last very long. The machine shop and friend helping me assemble the new motor (and who tuned it) are both super reputable. The stock motor should be able to handle that but not if it's been abused in it's prior life and already on it's last leg (which became painfully clear when it gave out). From looking at the pistons/sidewall and some of the pitting that developed on the head it's pretty clear the motor didn't have much hope. It was on it's way out even before I put it in the car. Always a roll of the dice when you buy used.
Quote:

Thanks
That is the original 4G64 that came in the van.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
hi Micah, thanks for your response.

4G64 is a 2.4 right?

I bought one Colt Vista 91 2.0 AWD but I can't find what engine it's, someone saids 4G63, other one saids G63, now it looks like 4G64....

There is any easy way to find it out?

Thanks,
4G64 is 2.4L. If it's a 2.0L then it is a 4G63, but the single-cam version.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:21 pm 

It will tell you on the plate on the firewall as well.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next