4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:50 am 

and to settle any questions on the rear motor/trans mount (and as an update of sorts)....

if you have a 1G trans like me, there is no place to mount the rear "motor" mount to the subframe on the vista. that has been my problem. the 1G's rear mount attaches to the block (not the trans) and is about 8" up and 6" to the left of the rear subframe mount on the vista. we managed to get something that sort of worked long enough for me to get it over to a shop and get my exhaust done. while i was there we made the mount better but its still not optimal.

fortunately, i was at the yards a few weeks back and scored a 2G AWD trans. installed an ACT flywheel, 2600 clutch kit and the trans over the weekend (thanks again for the help, Dan). everything works great! breaking in the clutch and sourcing a rear mount from Leon (i hope! =) that should bolt right up to the 2G trans and the stock vista rear mount.

next on the agenda is installing a boost controller and some prothane front and rear lower motor mount bushings (the motor rocks front to back quite a bit) and id like to solve that problem. then hopefully turn up the boost and do some tuning.

also managed to get in the EVO 8/9 suspension i had and some 7 passenger rear springs. insane how much stiffer the dampers are. best bang for the buck so far!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm 

Micah, I though this was a 92 model? My old 92 awd had the mounts on the block and not the trans.

My FWD 94 that I am working on now has the crossmember under the trans and I will be using a 1g fwd dsm trans so I need it under the engine. I was at the yard on Friday and was able to look at a 92 and a 95 model and noticed that the crossmember is different and mounts to a different place at the back. My 94 has the threaded holes for both crossmembers. Up front it only has one of the holes, the other one is there but doesn't have the nut on the backside for the crossmember mounting bolt so I'll have to get creative there. I grabbed the crossmember and mounts from that 92 so I'm hoping it will all work out. My next problem is that the 7 bolt 4g64 doesn't have the threaded holes on the front of the block for a mount so I'll have to get creative there and do something like uweenukr did on his colt.

I guess none of this info is any good to you since you're using a 2g trans now :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

seems like there was quite a bit of variation around this time and between certain models! it sounds like you have your setup figured out but if you end up needing any pics of my setup let me know and i can post them.

as an fyi, my 6-bolt 4G64 had holes on the front of the block so you may want to look for one of those. unfortunately, i sold mine over the weekend. it went to a local guy and i probably ended up getting more than if i had tried selling it to someone who would have needed it shipped. ive seen a few at the yards so can keep an eye out if you want but it sounds like you have a lot more in your neighborhood than we do!

and yes, very happy the 2G trans seems to be working out but appreciate the info regardless! hopefully all of this can help others in the future. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Well, this isn't a wasted info, as he can still do this the "92" style and NOT use tranny moutns ;).

I think that Micah's problem was the fact that his van can with an auto, so he can't re-use his original motor mounts. Which is understandable, but... if he finds 5sp mounts from a '92 van, he should be able to use them (with ether 1G or 2G trannies)!

But if you want to go with '93+/2G style mounts, you might also need a matching crossmemember.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 pm 

I vote we sweet talk evotistical into making us a sub forum for these little weird looking wagons 8) . This way we can share info on them and post our discoveries in one place and not have it scattered.

Micah, I actually pulled a 4g64 from that same 92 expo for a guy on the galant board who was only interested in the bare block and crank so I kept the mounts. This will be a budget DD for me so I will be keeping the 7 bolt 4g64 since it runs really well. I would check on caps for the part #'s on the mounts for both the auto and manual 93+ wagons. I'm willing to bet at least one if not both of them are the same.

Ben4g63t1 stripped some parts for me from a manual wagon last week. He didn't mention what year or if it was awd/fwd but he may be able to grab some parts for you once you find out what you need.

Back to that 92 expo at the yard, it was fwd auto and had the mounts on the block as well. So I guess all awd auto wagons had the mounts on the trans regardless of the 6 or 7 bolt engine. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm 

Quote:
I vote we sweet talk evotistical into making us a sub forum for these little weird looking wagons 8) . This way we can share info on them and post our discoveries in one place and not have it scattered.
Funny you should mention it, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 pm 

Great minds think alike! We owe Mechacode though, he made it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:27 am 
The happy administrator

Enjoy it guys. :partyman:

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:57 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
So, why did you convert to a DSM 3 bolt rear end? Is it actually stronger?
It was an auto so we had to change the gear ratio. That was the only motive.

The plan is to go easy on it at first and see how it does, if nothing else we can move the car under its own power. It wouldn't be too difficult to change ring and pinion and use the stock diff. We could also reinforce it so it's much stronger.

My Auto AWD Expo has a 3.545 rear diff, this was probably all done for nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:23 am 

Haven't posted in a while so I thought it was time for a little update.

The rear motor mount came in the mail and bolted up to the 2G trans and my stock rear Vista mount just fine. Thanks again Leon!!! Huge help. I spent about a week or two trying to source a new front mount and eventually ordered one from Rock Auto. Unfortunately it seemed just as flimsy as the front mount I had that was cracking. Decided to swing by a window place and have them squirt some window weld in to my stock front mount (it basically turns to urethane once it cures). An entire tube is about $20 so if anyone is looking to put urethane mounts in their car this is probably the cheapest way to go...especially if, like in my case, you're having trouble finding what you need for your specific application. After a few days of curing this is what you end up with:

I was having some idle issues and decided to delete all of the smog stuff from the equation (it wouldn't pass at this point regardless). Installed an EGR block off and pulled everything I could and capped the lines. Still having the idle issues but nice to have a more simplified equation so to speak.

Then finally got around to installing my catch can and manual boost controller (still set at stock boost at the moment).

Lastly, I had swapped out the oil housing for a 1G unit and had the lines looped while I searched for an oil cooler. I had to cap the coolant lines that feed off of the main water pipe so used some bolts and JB Water Weld. Seemed to have been the easiest solution for the time being and working well. I had the lines for the oil cooler looped and the rubber hose seemed like a huge liability so I stopped driving the car until the oil cooler was sourced. I originally tried to put it in the the bumper on the driver's side but the fittings were causing it to flex back and placing a lot of stress on the bumper. Did some more test fitting and bent one of the tabs and was able to fit it up by the intercooler. Much better placement and, after some cutting of the bumper support, it fits great!

That's about it for now. Next on the agenda is working out my idle surge and some boost issues I am having that I think could be related to the MAF or MAFT. Hopefully my next update will come much sooner than this one!

Last edited by micah on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am 

Looking great! Glad I could help out!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:20 pm 

finally took the young male horse out for some exercise. ran an 8.8 at 78 in the 1/8th (lots of 8's!). i was averaging 0.5-0.6 reaction times and 1.9 60 foots. pretty happy considering it was my first real time drag racing....ever! the car is still "butt" tuned so im sure we can squeeze some more power out of it. some stickier tires would obviously help too. i have some videos i am going to put together but in the mean time you can enjoy this one showcasing dan and i. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmIB1-F ... ture=share

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:45 am 

was that a evo 10 i saw you beat? congrats looks good

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 am 

Nice job!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:44 am 
Some call me a god

Man that thing is clean!!

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next