4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 pm 

Round 2: Prep Work.

Other than ordering a shit ton of parts we didn't make too much physical progress this past weekend. Cleared out some unnecessary items in the engine bay (battery tray, stock air box, heavy brackets etc) along w/ segments of the front bumper support. Thought we'd make some room for "stuff."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:21 pm 

Round 3: Christmas in June.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

You'll poke your eye out

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:29 pm 

technically speaking, this is all your fault.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm 
CSM Junkie

Tony is probably shaking in his boots. Can you imagine getting beat by a wagon with a sliding door? Just awful.

'17 Fiesta ST

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Tony is probably shaking in his boots. Can you imagine getting beat by a wagon with a sliding door? Just awful.
LMAO :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:07 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

if you guys EVER need a hand please hit me up... id love to see this thing go together... im right on Miramar and divorcing haha so u know ive got time on my hands lmao!! pm me...

2016 Ford Edge Titanium -2L.0T AWD Wife
facebook.com/modicausmc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am 
Restricted Newbie

Video's of my 92 expo with 4g63 turbo swap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAs1w6r6sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AHaJ2N ... er&list=UL

Glad to see you've got a build thread going too! Ill be in touch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 am 

Round 4: Putting the Pieces Together (and disassembling a few more as well...)

A few more parts arrived so we took the opportunity of having the long holiday weekend to get some more work done.

We gave the right bumper support a more hefty diet so we could route the IC pipes but have yet to cut into the passenger fender well. Its definitely going to need trimming but we're going to wait for the motor to go in for that.

I decided to use two bolt holes (one that is used to hold the grill in place and another in the lower area in front of the radiator) to mount the IC brackets. This is the first time I have ever mounted an IC but pretty happy with the results. Its definitely not going anywhere!

Trimmed the front bumper. I started with the bare minimum and am hoping this is enough since I'd like to keep this thing as a "sleeper-esque" as possible.

Pulled the 2.4 and cleaned up the engine bay. It not as clean as Chris' masterpieces but a huge improvement nonetheless. I'm sure I'll swab the decks a little more once the 5-speed stuff has been installed and before the motor goes in.

Here is the first issue we've been faced with. As you can see the Colt Vista rear mount bolts to the transmission while, as I'm sure you know, the 4G63 bolts to the block. Is this a difference between the Colts/DSM's in general or something that is an auto vs. manual difference? I'm guessing the latter. Unfortunately the donor car was scrapped and I think the subframe went with it. I'm thinking I will either need to fab something up or go source another one from a 5-speed 1G. I'm really hoping they are interchangeable because the 5-speed Vista's are VERY hard to find (and an AWD 5-speed even more difficult).

Any suggestions/input is much appreciated.

Auto AWD Colt Vista

Manual AWD 1G 4G63

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 am 

It may not be as clean but you guys sure work a lot faster, that's for sure. Is this wagon a 92 model? It looks like it had the 6 bolt 4g64 that comes in the 92's but my 92 AWD had the mounts on the engine block. My 93 and my buddies 95 had the mounts on the case of the transmission like the 2g dsm's do.

I would just hang it by the upper trans and t-belt mount and fab something up for the front and rear roll stops. Either that or source a 2g awd trans and the mounts for a manual wagon and see if it will all bolt in. Again, I wish I was there. We could break in the new Hobart on some custom mounts for this thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

My van is a 93 5 spd awd and the trans is the same as a 2g dsm trans. It is a straight drop in. Only difference is the van has a thinner vc. Must make it a little milder. You would probably be best off making a custom crossmember anyways tho, it would be tough to find a early crossmember for an awd 5 spd van. I made the crossmember for my awd hatch in about 4 hours iirc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:23 am 

Quote:
Is this wagon a 92 model? It looks like it had the 6 bolt 4g64 that comes in the 92's but my 92 AWD had the mounts on the engine block. My 93 and my buddies 95 had the mounts on the case of the transmission like the 2g dsm's do.
yep, this is a 92. i MIGHT be able to go back to the same yard and find the FWD crossmember and mount but is that different than the AWD? does anyone know if there are any other subframes that would bolt in besides the AWDVista/Summit/LRV?
Quote:
My van is a 93 5 spd awd and the trans is the same as a 2g dsm trans. It is a straight drop in. Only difference is the van has a thinner vc. Must make it a little milder. You would probably be best off making a custom crossmember anyways tho, it would be tough to find a early crossmember for an awd 5 spd van. I made the crossmember for my awd hatch in about 4 hours iirc.
thanks for the info. what are you referring to when you say "the van has a thinner vc?" hmmm, so it sounds like a 2G trans would bolt in then, correct? i only ask because this trans might need to be replaced anyway. if that solves the problem then i may just go on the hunt for one of those since it would be easier to find (assuming a crossmember from a different DSM wont bolt in). and id love to fab something up but dont have welder.

appreciate all of the thoughts and input thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 pm 

So the mounts that are on your 2.0 now are the dsm mounts? And you're saying even though yours is a 92, the mounts were on the trans and not the engine block? That is weird if so because my 92 AWD with a manual trans had the mounts on the block.

I'm betting that you could get the front and rear trans mounts from a 93+ awd wagon and put them on a 2g dsm awd trans and it'll drop right in with your current crossmember.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:09 pm 

sorry if what im saying above was a bit confusing. i think you have things correct in your head but hopefully what i wrote below helps clarify things and make sure we're on the same page.
Quote:
So the mounts that are on your 2.0 now are the dsm mounts?
this is the 91 Eclipse/Talon Manual Trans 4G63T 2.0 engine which shows the rear motor mount attached to the block (factory rear mount -- nothing changed/swapped).

Quote:
And you're saying even though yours is a 92, the mounts were on the trans and not the engine block? That is weird if so because my 92 AWD with a manual trans had the mounts on the block.
and below is the 92 Vista AWD Auto Trans 4G64 (again factory rear mount -- nothing changed/swapped). *** sidenote: you'll notice the block of the 4G64 has provisions for a block mounted rear bracket. while that doesnt help me, it does make it an easy swap for someone who wants to upgrade from the 2.0 to 2.4.

anyway, im thinking it mounts different than yours (if the 92 AWD youre referring to was a Vista/Summit/LRV) because yours was a manual....therefore making it simply an Auto vs Manual issue in those cars (and possibly even the eclipse/talon -- i dont know them well enough to say but Dans auto AWD trans has a mount on it but he didnt need it because he had the mount on the block already installed).

Quote:
I'm betting that you could get the front and rear trans mounts from a 93+ awd wagon and put them on a 2g dsm awd trans and it'll drop right in with your current crossmember.
my concern w/ trying to source a 93+ AWD Wagon subframe is how difficult that would be (these cars seem very tough to find in any trim). all i really want to do at this point is find an easy way to get what i have, bolted in to the car WITHOUT having to fab anything. even if my 1G trans needs to be replaced, id rather go the cheapest route possible to get it safely sitting in the car as it currently stands. all that to say, any idea if a Talon/Eclipse subframe will bolt in to Vista/Summit/LRV's? that seems like it could be the easiest solution at this point but id rather find out if someone knows for sure before i start burning gas driving back and forth to the yards and dropping cash on random subframes that may never work. trying to reduce the trial and error factor as much as possible. =)

again, sorry if this is a bit confusing. hope my info above helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 pm 

I would try to find two VIN's, look on autotrader or something. One for a 92 awd expo with an auto trans and another for a 93+ awd expo with a manual. Then put those #'s in on CAPS to see if the crossmembers are the same or not, I doubt they are. Get the part #'s for the 3 mounts that bolt to the trans for the 93+ and check them against a 2g awd manual dsm. You may get lucky and see that some or all of them are the same. I'm thinking if you want it to bolt in you will need a 2g trans.

Or if you are really lucky the wagons will have a different set of mounting holes for both crossmembers. I'm betting they do because Mitsu would use the same chassis for both auto/manual wagons in 92. If they do just get a crossmember and the front/rear engine mounts/roll stops from a 92 awd with a manual trans and bolt everything up using your 1g dsm trans.

I hope this isn't too confusing. Feel free to call/pm me for help if I wasn't clear on explaining this. Oh yeah, light a fire under Dan's butt and ask him to get me those measurements. :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next