4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I am on my 3rd daily driven Galant VR4. This one is staying very mildly modified with mostly EVO parts. So far, it has:

EVO3 16G
ACT2100
Ported 2G exhaust manifold (one of the last left over Green Machine parts :) ).
3" turbo back
EVO 9 fuel pump
DSM Link
Hallman Manual Boost controller.

Here are some of photos of it over the winter, when it had enormous Blizzak snow tires:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909655

Waiting on the shelf:

EVO8 Intercooler (with polished SST piping)
EVO8 Fuel Injectors
EVO9 Suspension (modified to fit 1G/GVR4)
2G MAF

I like to call it EVO Spec Galant VR4. It has been an awesome daily driver for the last 9 months. But with the latest round of mods, I am ready do have some fun with it. I am planning on taking it to the Seekonk Speedway and give Spectator Drags another shot :).

Once the Summit is closer to what I want it to be, I am probably going to sell the Galant :(. Assuming that I do not crash it at Seekonk .

Speaking of EVO front suspension, it looks like it will be an ever easier fit in the Summit than it is in the GVR4, I haven't tried fitting it, but it looks like Summit shares the same bolt pattern as EVO for top shock mounts (in a GVR4, it have to re-use the original tops mounts). But I am getting ahead of myself :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:31 am 
2nd Banana

Looks nice, Leon. I love GVR4's, especially when they receieve the full JDM body treatment. For a minute, I thought you were gonna attempt a newer EVO powertrain/drivetrain swap in an older GVR4, which would be quite a project to say the least. :o

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 am 

And would be the point of that? Newer EVO parts are not necessary better than the "properly built" DSM parts! ;)

Plus, EVO 4+ parts are on the "wrong side" of the car so swapping them would be extremely difficult. Such swap would only make sense into later Mitsu's like: 3G Eclipse Spyder or 1st gen Outlander :twisted:

Leon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:52 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
And would be the point of that? Newer EVO parts are not necessary better than the "properly built" DSM parts! ;)

Plus, EVO 4+ parts are on the "wrong side" of the car so swapping them would be extremely difficult. Such swap would only make sense into later Mitsu's like: 3G Eclipse Spyder or 1st gen Outlander :twisted:

Leon
I realize it would be pointless, but it would certainly freak people out if they saw it. Haha. I also realize that they are reversed in the engine bay, which is why I said that it would be quite a serious project if anyone were to take it on. :wink:

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:39 am 

Well, I broke down and did my first mod on the Summit. I couldn't stand the factory shifter (way too long and has too much play in it). So I crushed the mounting rubber grommets (by removing inside metal sleeves) and shortened it ~3". I also installed a weighted Starion shifter knob.

The difference is astonishing! It makes the van much more enjoyable to drive!

Next mod: DSM steering wheel (I do not like the skinny factory "bus steering wheel"). This means that I will probably have to loose the cruise control, but I can live with that ;).

I will just have to get a non-cruise throttle cable :).

Leon

Last edited by grndsm on Thu May 22, 2008 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:53 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Well, I broke down and did my first mod on the Summit. I couldn't stand the factory shifter (way too long and has too much play in it). So I crushed the mounting rubber grommets (by removing inside metal sleeves) and shortened it ~3". I also installed a weighted Starion shifter knob.

The difference is astonishing! It makes the van much more enjoyable to drive!

Next mod: DSM steering wheel (I do not like the skinny factory "bus steering wheel"). This means that I will probably have to loose the cruise control, but I can live with that ;).

I will just have to get a non-cruise throttle cable :).

Leon
hahah.. nice leon... yeap, always hated that shifter an steering wheel. just didnt wanna lose the cruise.. but yes, totally understand where you are coming from.. goodluck an lets see this thing 4g63'ed.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:21 am 

Quote:
hahah.. nice leon... yeap, always hated that shifter an steering wheel. just didnt wanna lose the cruise.. but yes, totally understand where you are coming from.. goodluck an lets see this thing 4g63'ed.. :wink:
Well, 4G63 is some time away... I have to first finish my Galant, sell it, and then get the TR7 to run! Only then I will allow myself to do an engine swap in the Summit.

However, I just might toss a small(ish) turbo on it in the mean time. This way I can plum-in the intercooler piping, relocate the battery and establish proper intake location, all before the engine swap. So it will be few less thing to do when the real engine arrives ;).

Leon

Last edited by grndsm on Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:57 am 

Installing a DSM steering wheel on a Summit ended-up being a much larger project!

The bottom of the wheel does not fit (to the hub) and most of the plastic have to be trimmed away :(.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:03 am 

I do not know which previous owner (two of them are on this forum) of my van converted it to the manual belt (on the driver's side), but the upper seat belt attachment point was holding on by less than TWO THREADS! :o

Just about any impact would have ripped the belt out of the B-pillar, rendering that seat belt useless!

I undertstand why this was done. The original bolt is just too short and since Mitsu uses a special shoulder bolt, finding replacement is not easy. But that does not mean that you use it anyway!!! :x

I am just glad I found it this out the easy way... And I want to bring this this up to pointout that very dangerous "upgrade".

Since I have a spare parts car, I simply used rear upper belt attachment bolts, which are MUCH longer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:50 am 
Some call me a god

Nice to know that you found out about the seat belt before it became a issue. I just took the belts out of my parts car and didn't really notice the special bolt but took it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:03 pm 
CSM Junkie

Welcome Leon,lol. Yeah I also have been on this site for a little while now and came on here when the 4g63t swap on the hyunda excel was done. It's weird that your a newbie because 'I'm used to you as a admin on NEDSM, which I'm gladly proud to be a member on there too. Well hope that my old summit is in use to you for you super sleeper which they are rare to find in the begining,lol.

Leon is a great guy and my a idol to me when I seen the Green Meachine for the first time. He gave me so much movation to learn more about this cars and the power they ponest. ++ A1 guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:33 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, Tom and thank you for delivering your old Summit!

I have already started the transformation! :) But seat belt swap end-up being much more complicated!

Manual belts have "shoulder level adjusters", which are a great little feature. But the problem is that you can't easily tranfer them the van which originally came with the automatic belts. The b-pillar lacks the threaded inserts. You could back them up with a nut, but that area is closed-in, so unless you are willing to cut some holes in this very important member (or use proper sized Riv-nuts and who has those kicking around :)) you can't install those ajusters.

If you go directly to the b-pillar, you loose the thikness and now your b-pillar cover will not fit... I am making some custom brackets to make this work, I will post photos later.

Last edited by grndsm on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:05 am 
Some call me a god

Nice to see you finally made it to the board.

Geoff
Ex-Mach V

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 am 

Finally some progress!!!

Test fitting a 4G63 in my Simmit:

Since I already knew that it fits, the real reason for the test fit is to see if the Jay Racing 1G kit fits in a Summit (which is after all, a mix between 1G and 2G in so many ways! Just check out that motor mount!

1G kit works:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:53 am 

Looking good man, glad to see that you are still making progress.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next