Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada
This will outline the proceedure to swap your rear drums to discs.
Now this will make the assumption your upgrading from a 92 1.5L Hatch
Parts needed for the job:
Colt 1.6L or Colt Sedan Brake Booster
Colt 1.6L or Colt Sedan Master Cylinder
Rubber Line from the caliper
Hard Line that connects to the Rubber lines
The Bracket that holds the 2 rubber lines and the hard line (it bolts to the axle)
Entire stub axle (from brake discs and brackets to wheel bearsing all the way to the backing plates caliper brackets)
Tools needed for the job
10,12,14,17,30mm Sockets and Wrenches
Screw Drivers Slot and Phillips
6 inch extentions
10/12mm Flare Wrenches
WD40 or Similar Lube
1. Remove the 30mm nut and remove the drum (Hammer might help)
2. Use vice grips and remove the parking brake cables
3. Use Vice Grips to remove the set springs and screws remove the shoe assembly
4. Go behind the the backing plate and undo the brake line.
5. On the front of the backing plate there is 4 bolts that attach the backing plate to the axle.
6. Remove the backing plate you'll be left with your stub axle.
7. First attach your disc dust plate
8. Next attach the caliper bracket bracket.
9. Next attach your new wheel hub make sure you get all the wheel bearings right.
10. Do back up your 30mm and torque it 108-145ft/lbs
11. Put on your brake discs
12. Put on your brake caliper brackets
13. Put on your brake pads
14. Bolt the caliper in place 10mm
15. Now for the brake lines you gotta cut off the line adaptor on the axle (If you have an 89/90 there is 2 bolts) After you un bolt it you either bolt or weld on the new line adaptor
16. Hook up the brake lines
17. Bleed the brake
18 Have a beer and admire your fine work.