4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:13 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
So, theoretically (SP?) you should be able to run stock 1G AWD springs in rear, and 2 inch FWD or AWD DSM springs in front and the car would be level. What kind of issues did you run into in the rear before you fabbed the spacer bracket? Did you have to press the bushing out of the lower strut mount?
I am running stock 1g AWD springs in the rear, not cut at all. I cut the front springs one coil. If you were to run this setup without raising the struts up in the rear like I did, you would probably have to cut at least two coils off up front for the car to sit level. The issue I ran in to before making the spacer bracket was the spring perch rubbing against the inside of the tire, see the first pic I posted. I raised it up so that the spring perch would sit above the top of the tire (the way it should be.) If you're running smaller tires like 195's or 205's this probably won't be an issue for you, and can install the rear DSM struts as they are without making a spacer bracket. Since I'm running 225's in the rear, I was forced to do something about it.

Yes, you have to press the old bushing out of the Mirage strut and press it in to the DSM strut. There is no way around that. I was able to use all CSM stuff to make this work (i.e. CSM strut mounts front and rear) with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:08 am 
CSM Junkie

I dont remember if the AWD struts, or the CSM struts had the big bushing in bottom, but why couldnt you just drill the hole bigger on the CSM rear beam and use a bigger bolt to go thru it?

-Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:05 am 
Some call me a god

I wonuld consider it archived as of now.

I would think the pics showing the "added length" to the shock pick up points is more than enough. I had considered doing the same thing to my Colt back in 2005, but alas, I sold it. In looking as Tonus's picks, I mightve opted to totally REMOVE the existing brackets, and REPLACE them with newer brackets with added bracing [like the slotted ones on GSX's setup], but opinions are like a**holes] everyones got one!! :)

Tonus, thanks for finally DOING it and giving everyone an viable rear suspention upgrade option! :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:49 am 
The Silent Administrator

All right, done and done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:35 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I dont remember if the AWD struts, or the CSM struts had the big bushing in bottom, but why couldnt you just drill the hole bigger on the CSM rear beam and use a bigger bolt to go thru it?

-Mike
It seems like it's just as much work to press out the old bushing and press in the new one, and that also eliminates any and all guess work, it bolts right on using all the factory hardware and you don't have to worry about it ever again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 am 
The happy administrator

Quote:
So, theoretically (SP?) you should be able to run stock 1G AWD springs in rear, and 2 inch FWD or AWD DSM springs in front and the car would be level.

An update, this isn't theoretical as this is exactly what I did. I am running:

Front:

AWD dsm AGX's
Sportline lowering springs

Rear:
AWD GR2's modded with the csm bushing on the bottom
Stock AWD dsm rear springs

Stock 195/75/13's

205/55/16s

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3: